Pre-op diet yummies

(deactivated member)
on 6/16/16 3:29 pm

What are the best pre-op clear liquids you tried? What are the best protein shakes?

peachpie
on 6/16/16 4:19 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

This is all subjective. What I love you may hate. What you love now you may hate after surgery.

Clear liquids for me were sf jello and Broth's from soups, water, and watered down apple juice (I didn't like crystal light right after surgery)

Best protein Shake for me is syntrax nectars. 

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

(deactivated member)
on 6/16/16 4:28 pm, edited 6/16/16 9:30 am

Did you find a particularly yummy broth? I just looked up the Nectars and they look so much better than sweet chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry. Thanks for the info!

Donna L.
on 6/16/16 4:56 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I love the Nectar iced tea and peach.  They are fab!  I dislike the artificial color, but it's a small price to pay for a change from chocolate.

I and many others like the Premier Protein RTD shakes.  I haven't tried their new banana flavor yet, though.

As for broth, I made bone broth and drank it when I would get hungry.  I was carrying a thermos with it around for a while.  One of my co-workers thought I had the flu the week before surgery, haha.  A good trick is to use Better Than Bullion to make broth.  It tastes very good.  Homemade broth always tastes the best though.  

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

(deactivated member)
on 6/16/16 5:04 pm

Thank you so much. I will go buy some tonight and check it out. I am so ready to get this all over with and start my new, healthier life!

Donna L.
on 6/16/16 5:12 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Better than Bullion is a soup base for broth.  It's great to make purees with post-op, too.  It will be in a small glass jar in the soup isle.  one tiny jar literally makes a ton of broth.

Unjury makes this protein powder chicken broth that isn't bad.  It's not as good as the one I mentioned, but it's got decent protein.  All their stuff is great, actually.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

peachpie
on 6/16/16 7:00 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I bought broth from au bon pain or Panera. The Canned stuff is hideous, and both places were more than willing to sell me broth since they toss most of it at night anyway. 

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

(deactivated member)
on 6/16/16 10:05 pm

Hmmm I never thought of places like that. Clever. Thanx

pammieanne
on 6/17/16 6:00 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

I went to the local Chinese store and got hot and sour soup too... strained out the goodies and had the broth. I did this post-op as well... it has great flavor, and it's a change up from the plain broths.

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs