New Procedure for weight loss

Kathy S.
on 6/15/16 8:09 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Deanna,

I just created a thread on this not seeing yours.  This just creeps me out!  GROSS!

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

crystal M.
on 6/15/16 8:31 am - Joliet, IL

If the FDA is willing to approve this, it calls everything they approve into question. 

This is beyond appalling.  This is not a good idea for anyone that has issues with food.  I can see this getting abused very easily. 

Deanna798
on 6/15/16 8:40 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I guess the FDA doesn't care about the psychology behind a device, but the physical aspect of it.  I'm sure it will cause physical problems as well, but that will probably turn out like the band where it will be people having serious complications and surgeons that stop doing the procedure, not an actual recall on the approved product.  

I believe stuff like this is the work of lobbyists, on the behalf of the manufacturer, pushing to get this stuff approved.  

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Talkingmountain
on 6/15/16 10:37 am
RNY on 12/28/15

I'm glad to see any additional options out there for people who cannot safely have "permanent" WLS surgery, or who are so dependent on their food addiction that even facing death cannot get them to change.  Because there are people like that. Good people, who try to lose weight and fail just like us.  It could also be helpful for the superobese patient who has to lose 50+ lbs just to be eligible for permanent WLS.

However I must admit that for me, even if this were the only WLS option available to me, I probably wouldn't do it.  The "eeeeww" factor is just too strong! 

Ht 5'6" | HW 278 | SW 264, Size 28+/4-5X | GW 135ish, Size 10-12 | CW 132, Size 8-10
Surg Date 12/28/15 | NSV Goal: Go down slide w/kid! 

Deanna798
on 6/15/16 10:58 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I could see it as a way to lose weight in prep for more permanent solution.  It is just so close to being a medical version of bulimia that it scares me.

I guess we'll just have to watch and see how this goes.  

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Susie2756
on 6/15/16 12:40 pm

Holy shizballs!!!!!  WTH is in the water over there ??????  Jack Daniels ????  Because I'm thinking the ones that approved this must be half in the bag to think that this isn't a medically approved eating disorder device promoting purging....  What's next a tube that we can blow our chewed food into a blow up doll so we don't absorb the calories????? 

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 6/15/16 5:22 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

This is what the others have mentioned & is medically supervised bulimia. It just shows how powerful lobbyists can be in buying off the fda just to make a buck, no matter how dangerous it is. I've seen this recently on the news & the potential to abuse it is amazing, hell even if it wasn't abused it doesn't even begin to address the problems with overeating.

I think it's a slap in the face of anyone who had to deal with bulimia/any eating disorder.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Cheryl Denomy
on 6/16/16 5:40 am - Oshawa, Canada

Well, if this just isn't the most repulsive thing I've ever heard of.

As others have said, this is nothing more than no-barf bulimia -- and so much easier to completely abuse than a nice RNY, DS, or VGS.  Or even a VBG, like I've got.  Eat whatever you want, whenever you want, however much you want, and then just syphon it off into the toilet­.  Rinse and repeat.

How anyone could, or would, lose weight safely with this thing is beyond me.

The scary thing is, there will likely be desperate morbidly obese people lined up around the block to get this done. And probably pay thousands of dollars for it, too.

I'll check back in ten years to find out what a horror show this has been healthwise when the long-term studies start coming in.  I'm willing to bet fairly serious money it won't be pretty. 

Laura in Texas
on 6/16/16 7:56 am

I saw a story on this on the Today Show today. Completely disgusting. I cannot believe anyone thinks this is a good idea.

But hey, bulimics will love it because it will help preserve their teeth and their esophagus. 

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

califsleevin
on 6/16/16 8:02 am - CA

As least it has a good name for what it is - like a recent Ford minicar, it makes you "Aspire" for something better!

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin