Low BMI - Post Op Day 2 Questions?

Sleeve_Mia
on 6/13/16 2:18 pm
VSG on 06/11/16

So I've been the smallest BMI (33) that my surgeon has performed VSG on and apparently he almost denied me before operation.  I'm day 2 post op and the last 48 hours have been difficult with the reality check that this is serious and permanent.  The recovery has been difficult but it is only day 2.  My tummy is so small now and it is taking me forever to get down a bottle of water. I know it is still swollen from surgery, but when will I actually have the full two ounces?  When did the pain in your stomach go away long enough to lay on your front? How long did it take to feel "normal" again?  As in it feels like a part of you?

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/13/16 3:36 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

It took quite a while before I was able to take anything bigger than a tiny sip. I got those 3oz paper bathroom cups, and it would take almost an hour to empty one at first! I think full swallows were OK by the 3 or 4 week mark?

I definitely couldn't sleep on my stomach, like I normally do, for at least 6 weeks. I was a slow healer because I can't do opiates, but my surgeon said most folks are flat on their backs until at least week 3.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Smile_and_nod
on 6/13/16 10:50 pm
VSG on 01/18/16

Im 5 months out from VSG and what I remember is that by day three the pain dropped dramatically almost overnight. I still had tenderness and if I walked to much my abd was sore. I wasn't able to lay on my stomach for 4-5 weeks without feeling some discomfort. Even then if I was too active (hiking) my abd was a little tender. As for swallowing that was probably the most painful thing I had ever experienced. The first few days were the worst and I didn't want to swallow anything. Slowly it got a little better each day. Still had some pain a few weeks out especially with adding new foods and textures. Now 5 months out my swallowing is fine. 

supershopper
on 6/14/16 5:01 am

You just had major surgery- it will take weeks (up to months) for you to feel better and each day will get better.

You must make it your first job to drink every 15 min. If you don't you will become nauseus and dizzy and possible have to go back in for fluids.

you might want to start trying to sleep propped up on pillows, it will help.

you can try the sugar free mix in the water, broth etc to help get fluids in. Also- walmart sells a sugar free cider in the coffee isle that is so yummy

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

Naomi S.
on 6/14/16 7:32 pm - Southwest Metro, MN
VSG on 06/03/16

My VSG was on 6/3. I was able to sleep on my stomach a week post-op, but I did keep a pillow tucked under my right side to support my incisions, otherwise it felt like they were pulling. I'm much more comfortable sleeping now, rolling over etc doesn't hurt. I'm 11 days post-op today. 

Good luck to you!

Naomi

Sleeve_Mia
on 6/15/16 8:17 am, edited 6/15/16 1:18 am
VSG on 06/11/16

Thanks so much for responding. I slept on my side last night and it felt really nice to get some peaceful sleep.  I'm trying to stay away from pain meds because I wasn't getting much sleep but I constantly was tired.  I'm 4 days post op and still on fluids.  I'm currently at the airport and see all my favorite foods!  I thought the head hunger would kick in when I smelled them, but I have no desire to eat at all. 

Here is to another trip around the sun and meeting our goals on the way!!  

Miranda