LAPBAND REMOVED BEYOND RELIEVED! CAN YOU SAY INFLAMMATION?!

paris22221
on 6/13/16 7:44 am

I feel compelled to come to this forum to share my lap band story if it will help one person then that will make me feel better.  I had my band placed five years ago with no complications. I was otherwise a healthy 48 year old woman with some co-morbidities such as borderline diabetes, and on medications for high blood pressure.  I had a BMI of 32 with about 50lbs to lose so I was on the cusp of getting the band in the first place.  I did lose about 55lbs then started to have problems.  After about 3 years I began experiencing horrific left shoulder pain after eating.  I would eat something and be down for the count for several hours afterwards with this terrible pain. I also experienced extreme abdominal bloating along with it and looked like I was pregnant.  It was miserable.  This would happen even after small meals and drinking fluids. I eventually had all of the fluid taken out of my band.  Still the same problem.  Six months later I scheduled surgery to have it removed. Last week I had the band removed.  The surgeon told me that my stomach area near the band was inflamed.  Really.  I'm so not surprised.  No i am reading that the band can cause silicone leakage that causes chronic fatigue among other things.  Well guess what?  I have had chronic fatigue for over three years now and could not figure out what was wrong with me. I also had all of the other symptoms associated with silicone leakage.  I did not associate it with the freaking band because I had not read that this was a possible side effect.  And why wouldn't it be? Don't women with silicone breast implants have problems with inflammation and side effects from their implants?  Implants have been around way longer than these bands. I am so upset with Allergan for hiding this from patients and my doctor did not inform me at the time I had my band that this was a possible side effect.  Anyone else upset? Or anyone else experiencing these same symptoms?  If so, you need to see your doctor and get your band out ASAP.  I am five days post op and feel 100% better already even with my sore stomach and stitches.  I cannot believe I lived like this for so long. I am beyond pissed off.  

DO NOT GET THE LAPBAND!!  Opt for one of the other weight loss surgeries. My surgeons office does not even offer lap bands anymore because of all the complications.

seguine13
on 6/13/16 8:37 am
RNY on 02/17/16

I'm so sorry this happened to you. Although I'm sure there are many people the lapbad has helped and are very satisfied with their results I found it interesting that my Dr's office also did not do them because of complications.

Nic M
on 6/13/16 10:38 am

I had the band done in 2003... chronic left shoulder pain, diaphragmatic damage... the band is THE WORST. It's dangerous. 

Glad you're feeling better now that it's out. After a while, it will all seem like  a bad dream. Once you feel better, you realize just how awful you felt while banded. It's a terrible way to live. 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

tattitude
on 6/13/16 10:30 pm

One of my friends just told me she is getting the band on June 23rd.  I am freaking out.  She seems to think it's no big deal.  I shared your message with her in hopes she will at least do some research on her own before taking the plunge.  Thank you for sharing and I do hope it helps someone, hopefully my friend.

Ticker 87883

Height:  5' 8"  Initial Consultation:  10/6/2015  HW:  286.5   CW:  277

Nic M
on 6/14/16 2:49 pm

It IS a big deal. The band is SO very damaging. She needs to research further if she thinks it's no big deal. Man oh man, save her from herself. The only people who think the band is a good idea at this point are the people who don't know anything about it. 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Hislady
on 6/14/16 1:33 pm - Vancouver, WA

Thousands upon thousands of people have been permanently damaged by the lap band. There are many groups on the internet with groups who have been injured and nearly died from having a lap band. It is far from safe and it is not only dangerous but also ineffective as a weight loss surgery. Like Nic I will never be the same because of having a band for 7 yrs. I have had mine removed over 2 yrs now and still have horrid heartburn no matter what meds I have tried. I will forever be in pain because I was told how safe a band was. I once was fat and healthy, now I'm thin and have never been so unhealthy in my whole life. Realize is no longer manufacturing the band we can only pray that Apollo does the same before more people are damaged. Please report to the FDA anyone who has been damaged by the lapband, they will contact you for further info, they are invesigating those who have been damaged by the band.