RNY v VSG ?

(deactivated member)
on 6/11/16 2:08 pm

Hello All! I'm new here and just beginning my WLS journey. I haven't quite decided with surgery is best for me and would love to hear some sage wisdom. I'm 21, 5'7, 275 lbs, and have very minor comorbidities. I have about 130lbs to lose. I like the RNY bc you can lose more, dumping (I have a sweet tooth), and losing faster. However I dislike that it is more intensive surgery, and I'm worried about malabsorption down the road (hello osteoporosis). I've also heard you are always hungry with RNY?

I like Vsg because it seems affective but not as scary. However, I'm concerned I won't lose all the weight or I'll regain more easily.

I would love personal stories and general advice. Thanks! You are all beautiful humans!

swim_bike_smile
on 6/11/16 3:52 pm
RNY on 06/13/16

My surgery is scheduled for Monday, and while I cannot tell you how it will go, I can tell you why I chose RNY over VSG. 

Initially I went in with the idea that I was going to get VSG.  However, my bariatric progam requires an extensive workup involving chest xrays, EKG, bloodwork including clotting factors, vitamin panel, cbc/diff, chemistries, psych eval, sleep study, and endoscopy.  

During the endoscopy they found that I have GERD.  I was advised to choose the RNY over VSG because it could exacerbate the symptoms of my GERD.

So, you may go in thinking one way, and your team tells you that you shouldn't choose that particular surgery! :)

(deactivated member)
on 6/15/16 10:29 am

Thanks, I appreciate it!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/11/16 4:47 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Not all patients with RNY end up dumping. And while the loss may be faster at first, there's no reason why you can't lose all of the weight with VSG as well.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 6/15/16 10:31 am

Thanks. I've always wondered: who says you can't lose as much weight with Vsg?it seems to me that once I'm a certain weight and able to work out really well, why can't I keep losing? Ya know? Appreciate your advice.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/15/16 10:38 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I suspect (don't have the data at hand) it's because RNY has the bonus of malabsorption in the first year or so. It's easier to lose weight, even if you aren't totally perfect with your food, when you've got that helping, and that can affect your habits down the line.

As long as you stick to your good habits and remember your restriction, you can be successful either way :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

chassibi
on 6/11/16 6:30 pm

I chose RNY because I had horrible GERD with the band several years ago, and was afraid I could develop it again with VSG. Having said that, GERD is just a possibility with VSG, not a foregone conclusion. I have no idea if I dum*****t, because I haven't tested that. And don't plan to anytime soon. (had surgery 5/2).

Consult Weight:276/Surgery Day Weight: 241.6 /Goal Weight: 150

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 6/11/16 8:11 pm

According to studies, at 5 years out, the weight loss is the same for vsg or RNY.

Also, there is NO data showing that dumping helps with weight loss or maintenance whatsoever. It's just a really unpleasant complication of cutting of the pyloric valve.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 6/12/16 4:29 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

You can regain with the rny or the vsg. A tool can only take you but so far, the rest is up to you. Don't depend on dumping to help carb a sweet tooth, a lot of people don't dump & if you're a true addict you'll find ways to work around the dumping issue. 

Losing the weight & tackling the issues that got you there are 2 different things. The physical part, your tool can help you with, the mental part is a lot harder & more complex & will have to be dealt with too, either thru therapy, support groups etc.

I had the VSG & am happy with my choice. Good Luck to you in whatever you choose to go with.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

(deactivated member)
on 6/15/16 10:32 am

Thanks