Vitamins and long term Rny.

SkinnyScientist
on 6/10/16 2:11 am

Hey! Did you know that Centrum recently changed their formula (i.e. like maybe in the past year..I load up all at once and then it holds me)?

They are adding 1000 more Vitamin A compared to what was in there about a year ago....

The Centrum Silvers have way more D3.

So, previously my surgeon recommended normal centrum (not silver) and I had to supplement calcium, B-12 and D3 to get to the ASBM guidelines. Now I got to look at the math and decide if maybe doing Centrum Silver might Save me some $$$$ by permitting me not to buy Vitamin D3 supplements...

Also, my surgeon did not recomment gummies (if that is what you meant by chewable) but did not stipulate why.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

The Salty Hag
on 6/10/16 5:12 am
RNY on 05/20/13

I didn't know that. Thank you for the info. I usually buy the Sam's Club "Silver" generics, but I do have Centrum Silvers right now.  

I've used the Silver or the store brand equivalent for years. The iron in the regular version does not agree with me, so I supplement with carbonyl iron. I also supplement my D3 because it takes more than what the multi has to maintain an optimum level. ( and my calcium, of course. )!

( I'm overdue on my labs right now, so I need to get my butt in gear and get them done. )

The chewables for Centrum and Centrum Silver are different than the gummy version. I was told to avoid gummies as well; that's fine by me. I hate all things "gummy". 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

SkinnyScientist
on 6/10/16 6:10 am

Do you happen to know why gummies are bad?

The sugar?

A gateway drug to candy again (once they have dried us out)?

I would like to know..

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

The Salty Hag
on 6/10/16 7:02 am
RNY on 05/20/13

They're incomplete. I haven't ever looked how they're sweetened, but there could be sugar and or sugar alcohols in them. 

Now I have to find the ingredients to satisfy my own curiosity. Haha. 

Tom Petty

mschwab
on 6/11/16 8:33 pm
RNY on 11/21/14

Gummies do not have minerals in them.

Height: 5'7".  HW: 299, Program starting weight: 290, SW: 238, CW 138 - 12 pounds under goal!  

April Parker
on 6/10/16 8:14 am - Gaffney, SC
RNY on 06/20/16

Dr. Bour? You from Greenville? Or at least SC?

I know someone who had their RNY by him and bc they didn't follow directions, they aren't in good shape.

HW- 283    SW- 264     GW- 130

The Salty Hag
on 6/10/16 10:52 am
RNY on 05/20/13

Yes, I live in Greenville. I saw that you're in Gaffney. Nice to see a fellow Upstater! 

I love Dr. Bour. I felt very comfortable with him. It's a shame about your acquaintance. I hope they are able to recover. 

Tom Petty

April Parker
on 6/10/16 12:30 pm - Gaffney, SC
RNY on 06/20/16

Yay that's so cool! It is nice to see a neighbor. :) 

Yeah she was 500 lbs and is down to skin and bone for her height. Shes had so many strictures and problems, plus she didnt get sick from sugar from what I saw. She would take lime sherbert ice cream and some kind of soda, mix it, and eat some of that. Anything sweet. And she wouldnt stop smoking, she kept lying to Dr. Bour and her plastic surgeon (Dr. Suber) about the smoking. But its obvious, and one of them said he would no longer operate on her bc she wouldnt listen. When Dr. Suber did her thighs I had to take care of her and I liked it, I want to work in the medical profession someday. BUT she again didnt listen and her incision came open and I had to clean and pack it every day. She also didnt take vitamins, AND got addicted to her pain meds. :/ Shes one of the sweetest women I know but man. I know what NOT to do now!

I feel bad sharing that. I'm not usually a gossiper. But her situation is bad. Shes almost died a few times, pneumonia and kidneys were shutting down. She has to have a feeding tube, I think. And as much as I loved being around her, I have to say it was her fault.

HW- 283    SW- 264     GW- 130

liz123
on 6/9/16 4:33 pm

when I had my RNY 2007 - my Dr told me that he has Flintstones as an option in his paperwork because SOME type of vitamin is better than nothing ( and most patients wont take a weight loss bariatric specific brand because they are more expensive )

I have taken bariatric advantage vits and also the Journey vitamins sold online from bariatric eating website - I like the BE ones best at this time / but the BA ones are good too. I feel safer ( it could just be me / but weight loss surgery specific vitamins seem like a good choice for me because I am RNY ) Sleevers absorb more than RNY and a good off the shelf vitamin may work well too.

since you are a revision to the RNY - perhaps you might look into the bariatric specific vitamin products since your body cannot absorb as well anymore.  Since you are early out from surgery - start slowly with your vitamins to make sure they are agreeable to your new pouch :)

chewables might work best for a while - take care

sheriberi29
on 6/9/16 4:35 pm - Cleveland, TN

Thank you so much 

Banded 6/9/09 HW 242 LW 142 Revision 198 m 1 loss 16 lbs 182. M 2 loss 4 lbs 178. M3 loss 6 lbs 174.m4 loss 4 lbs 168. M5 gain 2 lbs 170. M6 loss 7 lbs 163 M7 loss 5 lbs 159 M8 loss 1 lb 158 M9 loss 0 M10 155 loss 3 M11 154 loss 1 M12 loss 2 152 M13 loss 3 149 M16, 17 0 loss M 18 loss 4 lbs 145 (18 months 53 lbs)