Help...how do you eat out??

mute
on 6/9/16 7:11 am
RNY on 03/23/15

I was really scared of this too because who wants to never eat out ever again!!

I have zero problems with this now. I had a bit of a learning curve but the awesome people here helped me figure it out of course.

In the beginning I only went to restaurants where I could look up the menus ahead of time, which luckily is a thing at most places. But now I don't even bother because I can find something seriously anywhere.

I look for seafood first because I love seafood - not fried obviously. But scallops or shrimp. Mahi mahi or tuna. Very high in protein and YUM.

Steak is always a good option for me and even better is most places you order it by size and you have a great idea of how much you can eat, how perfect when you're trying to judge that :)

Chicken is always an option too, it's just usually my 3rd option because it can sometimes be dry.

Places that serve breakfast are even easier! Eggs are high in protein so I sometimes get an omelet or some form of eggs. Sausage, turkey bacon - all high in protein.

Once I was farther out from surgery I started asking for double sides of veggies I could eat like broccoli or cauliflower - NEVER potatoes. If there were no options for sides I could eat I said no sides. I didn't want the temptation on my plate.

It's totally doable, I swear. It doesn't even bother me when I'm with people who don't know about my surgery. They just think I'm either a picky eater or a light eater. No biggie!

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

seattledeb
on 6/11/16 12:53 am

Also the smallest steak is one of the finer cuts. Bonus! I only eat good steak.

Theduffman27
on 6/9/16 8:13 am
VSG on 11/19/14

Early on I would research menus and plan ahead , now I have no issue finding something healthy, there are times where I will only eat soup. I do not mind left overs so that is a plus as well. While in the losing phase I would be questioned if the food was ok, and now that I am a smaller version of myself I do not hear a question about my food. You will figure out what works for you, just stay on your program and you will be fine.

Deanna798
on 6/9/16 8:27 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I almost always look at the menu before I go and have a plan.  It's easier than trying to figure it out spur of the moment.  

I went out for lunch yesterday and ordered a Ruben sandwich.  I ate the meat, cheese and kraut from half the sandwich and took the other half with me.  it didn't look unusal at all, since I picked the bread to pieces on my plate and didn't leave a whole slice of bread just sitting. 

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 6/10/16 11:48 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

I can;t wait to hear how your got rid of your peas as a kid.

Sharon

Deanna798
on 6/10/16 12:08 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

Oh, I love peas... I have never been a picky eater, and maybe that was part of my problem.  I just love food in general.

Hell, we even ate liver and onions when we were kids.  We had to or we didn't eat, so there may have been copious amounts of ketchup on top of liver, onions and gravy.  You do what you have to do to, right? lol

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

hollykim
on 6/9/16 8:45 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On June 9, 2016 at 12:41 PM Pacific Time, Marcim35 wrote:

Hi!  I am considering the RNY and have a questions for those that have been thru it.  My job requires me to travel and I am trying to figure out with the new diet (not post opt, I am talking like a year or so out) can you eat out and if so how hard is it?  When I travel I do have dinner meeting so I am trying to figure out will they be easy to manage or will I be struggle because I can't eat which then opens up a whole other conversation.  Any advice or information you have is greatly appreciated!

I usually use a knife and fork but never have trouble eating out. 

Grim_Traveller
on 6/9/16 9:16 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Great advice from everyone above.

This worries almost everyone when they are going into surgery. It worries no one after a few times actually going out to eat.

There is always something healthy and appropriate for us. Even at most fast food restaurants. The only difficult part is forcing ourselves to make a wise decision, rather than a poor one.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 6/9/16 1:06 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Italian restaurants are the only ones that are challenging to me.   Although there's always a chicken option.   Gnocchi is like crack to me.

Most restaurants have steak, seafood or chicken that are all weight loss friendly.  I usually take half of my meal home and eat it the next day, which may not be an option for you if you're traveling.

I did not eat at restaurants for several months after surgery.  I wanted to change my habits (prior to surgery we ate out at least five days a week) and I also wanted to get comfortable cooking foods that I could eat and enjoy.

You will be surprised at how easy it is to find something eat.  As Grim said, it's not always easy to make the best choice, however.  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

seattledeb
on 6/11/16 12:57 am

Eating out is never a challenge..it's actually planing and cooking meals at home. I need a wife.