Question on eggs

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 6/9/16 5:29 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

First, I want to preface this and make it ENTIRELY clear I am not trying to troll or start crap...

I know the vets and a lot of members advise against eggs because they cause issues. I know I have had issues a few times after having eggs, but I'm not 100% positive it was the eggs

I've read people post that they cant handle scrambled, but fried or poached are ok

Yesterday someone posted about scrambled eggs + salsa and my mouth started to water at the thought... This morning I went to scramble up an egg and as my pan heated -- I HAD NO FRIGGIN SALSA! 

So, I changed it and went to pan fried instead. I ate them nice and slow. I had two medium. Well, one medium one super small. I ate all but 1/2 of an egg (broke yolk, rubbed over egg w/ a little franks hotsauce)

I havent had any issue and I dont feel that weight of the egg like normal

Would people say the consensus is 

1. eggs are risky overall
  2. eggs cooked "less dry" are a better option (fried, poached, etc rather than scrambled) 

?

Just curious on input. I know a lot of people cant handle eggs, but I think I am one that can and since I havent had an opportunity to experiment too much wanted to get input from those who have 

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

ladygodiva1228
on 6/9/16 5:56 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

For me scrambled eggs in the beginning (2 months out) sat very hard in my pouch (I had was a band to bypass revision).  Even though scrambled eggs appear to be "soft" they aren't always as moist as a poached or fried egg.  Remember the yolk will still be runny with poached, fried, over easy eggs.  This will make the eggs moist.

When I had my band for 13 years I could not eat any type of eggs fried, poached, scrambled, hard boiled none of them would stay down and it sucked.  I raise chickens and I had to sell the majority of my farm fresh eggs because my husband and daughter could only eat so many eggs a week.  Now I have two medium scrambled eggs every morning with a little feta cheese and 2 slices of bacon.  Love my farm fresh eggs.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

CMR1075
on 6/9/16 6:27 am
VSG on 01/15/16

I eat soft scrambled eggs or hard boiled eggs all the time. No issues whatsoever. If your stomach can handle it, I don't see an issue since it's protein. I guess we just have to watch cholesterol when it comes to eggs. But then again, I'm not a nutritionist so I wouldn't take my word for it lol. 

My thoughts, I like eggs with red devil hot sauce - they agree with my tummy - I eat eggs lol. 

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 6/9/16 6:40 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

your logic seems sound to me!

dont know how cholesterol works (if at all) any different for bariatric patients, but im fortunate ive never had an issue. when i used to power lift i'd eat 8 eggs every morning. cholesterol was perfect ;P 

Chilipepper
on 6/14/16 7:02 am

I eat 6-8 eggs a day and I have for years. My cholesterol runs around 78. That hasn't changed in years. I don't worry about it. 

When I was early post op the very first scrambled egg I had landed hard. After that I just made sure they were scrambled soft with lots of butter. Never had a problem again. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

SkinnyScientist
on 6/9/16 6:29 am

In the beginning for me..when approved to eat them. Hard boiled eggs were a life saver for me.

They were just the right size.

They got me to eat breakfast in the morning (I was a breakfast skipper).

They were a good protein.

My nut, once she figured out that I really really liked eggs, reminded me that if I used egg whites I can eat MORE at less calories (do NOT exceed you pouch volume...surgeons guidelines) cuz all the calories and cholestrol are in the yolk.

I pretty much eat an egg based dish every morning for breakfast..

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 6/9/16 6:41 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

any youd recommend? 

i want to try making some stuff to have on hand :)

pammieanne
on 6/9/16 6:54 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

There are recipes all over the internet for egg muffins. Basically you scramble eggs, put some things in the bottom of a muffin pan (depending on where you are in your journey, could be cheese, bacon, sausage, mixture of veggies) and pour the eggs in over that. Bake for like 10-12 minutes, and pop them out. You can refrigerate them in a baggie and take them on the go. They reheat like champs in the microwave. 

I am not ready for eggs yet, but I've made these hundreds of times. My kids love them, and I used to as well. I also used to dip them in salsa on my plate, sometimes a little sour cream too. I found that actually putting the salsa in the eggs and baking it wasn't the best - for me.

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 6/9/16 6:56 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

Yup def was planning on something like that. Was scouting eggfaces blog looking at them :D

Im going to try to hold off on bacon until I'm closer or in maintenance I think, just for me personally. It will be hard because i LOVE bacon. I even make my own by buying pork belly, curing and smoking.

:)

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/9/16 6:57 am

Egg yolks are the best part of an egg.  You call yourself scientist yet you provide highly  unscientific very very old, based on very bad science statment.  

Egg yolks are the best part - they have the proteins, minerals , vitamins, lecitin... They are brain food.  I guess you need it... No? 

Do some research. Please.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."