Ketosis

April Parker
on 6/8/16 10:18 pm - Gaffney, SC
RNY on 06/20/16

I chose skim milk (bc it was cheapest and I'm really struggling right now)to add to my Bariatric Advantage shakes for my liquid diet. At 13 carbs per serving, it puts my carbs over 40 with eveything I am allowed to consume. 

My question is, will that prevent me from achieving the state of ketosis? I'd feel much safer if I entered it some time before surgery, so it will have the desired effect on my liver and fat surrounding my organs. I've been researching on several different sites and have come to find that it is one of the reasons our surgeons put us on the liquid diets. To acheive ketosis and therefore burn fatty tissue on the inside and out. 

I know I'm not required to do this, I'd just like to. Plus it will give me a head start on having more energy. Thanks in advance!

HW- 283    SW- 264     GW- 130

White Dove
on 6/9/16 1:52 am - Warren, OH

It will probably put you out of ketosis.  Dr. Atkins used to recommend staying at 20 carbs to be in ketosis.  I cannot be more than 30.  I use keto strips to be sure I am still in ketosis. 

Some people will be in ketosis at 50 or even 100 carbs, so you need to experiment with your body.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

April Parker
on 6/9/16 1:56 am - Gaffney, SC
RNY on 06/20/16

Thanks! Guess I need to go get some strips to see! :)

HW- 283    SW- 264     GW- 130

Ginnny
on 6/9/16 8:34 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

White Dove, my NUT is encouraging me to eat carbs (I resist).  she says its not good to be in ketosis for too long.  Have you always maintained this state since your surgery?

hollykim
on 6/9/16 8:48 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On June 9, 2016 at 3:34 PM Pacific Time, Ginnny wrote:

White Dove, my NUT is encouraging me to eat carbs (I resist).  she says its not good to be in ketosis for too long.  Have you always maintained this state since your surgery?

it is not harmful while you are actively losing. If you add carbs, you might start gaining. I personally wouldn't add any 

Kathy S.
on 6/9/16 9:05 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

It's hard on your kidney's to flush out the concentration of protein.  Drink lot's of water while you are consuming very low carb amounts to flush them out and you should be fine

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

zann50
on 6/9/16 10:49 am
On June 9, 2016 at 4:05 PM Pacific Time, Kathy S. wrote:

It's hard on your kidney's to flush out the concentration of protein.  Drink lot's of water while you are consuming very low carb amounts to flush them out and you should be fine

Kathy S...I am so glad you encouraged water intake with staying in ketosis I have used the Atkins diet since surgery.  I only use his original concept from the first book in 1972. Yep, elderly here lol. I stay between 150-200 oz/water/day.  Thus far, no changes in uric acid levels. I know from the past to protect the kidneys with this strict intake of high protein. 

Ginnny
on 6/9/16 9:42 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

Thanks Ladies, appreciate the responses.  I try to keep my carbs low everyday (well below 30) sometimes they creep up but never more than 50 gr.

I'm  8 weeks post-op

White Dove
on 6/9/16 10:04 am - Warren, OH

I believe that she is confusing dietary ketosis with diabetic ketosis.  I don't stay in ketosis unless I am trying to lose weight.  But there are people who stay in ketosis most of the time and are fine.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

cheapskate
on 6/9/16 6:27 am
RNY on 03/30/15

Have you tried fairlife milk?  It only had 6 carbs per cup.