What makes an OH member a "vet"?

Theduffman27
on 6/10/16 12:08 pm
VSG on 11/19/14

I have a legitimate fear of becoming a diabetic again. I will remain vigilant and will stay involved in this community as I am NOT able to attend the support group as it is 2 hours from my home.

Thanks for being an inspiration!

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 6/9/16 12:47 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

My definition of a vet is five years post surgery, active participation on OH (not with attention ***** "look at ME" photos once a year) and maintaining their weight loss to an enviable degree.

Journeyman is a wonderful description for those of us who are a work in progress.  What I've learned from the vets is that things change over time.  Don't get comfortable or complacent because you managed to lose weight.  It's always, ALWAYS, going to be work.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Josh H.
on 6/14/16 10:47 pm - Merida, Mexico
RNY on 12/20/05 with

Damn, i thought I was vet,  but i think I am more the once a year attention ***** 

Whatever you call us,  we are mainting,  looking good,  and proud. 

462/449/200

"I'm not ashamed of where i've been but proud of where i am!"

sheriberi29
on 6/10/16 1:27 pm - Cleveland, TN

I'm not sure there is  a 3 or 5 year answer. All I know for certain is , my dr, nutritionist and nurses have a lot more experience with things than I have right now, so I follow their advice and guidelines, HOWEVER, they have not lived it and succeeded and have given me some information that has not worked well for me . I come to the boards for support daily from those who have gone before me with experience of a week more than me to 10 years out or more. I appreciate each person that takes the time to reach a hand down to help the next one in line and value your experience and opinions very much . Some of you are like a Pintrest pin I saw that states " I'm not willy wonka, I don't sugar coat sh*t ."  Lol and that's ok. Everyone's different . I am brand new to conversion to rny from band and need a lot of info to help me improve and create and maintain a successful routine . But I'm also here to help others in any way I can. 

Banded 6/9/09 HW 242 LW 142 Revision 198 m 1 loss 16 lbs 182. M 2 loss 4 lbs 178. M3 loss 6 lbs 174.m4 loss 4 lbs 168. M5 gain 2 lbs 170. M6 loss 7 lbs 163 M7 loss 5 lbs 159 M8 loss 1 lb 158 M9 loss 0 M10 155 loss 3 M11 154 loss 1 M12 loss 2 152 M13 loss 3 149 M16, 17 0 loss M 18 loss 4 lbs 145 (18 months 53 lbs)

Chilipepper
on 6/15/16 8:55 am

I'm 7+ years. I have lived the highs and lows of GB. I have lived and learned from my accomplishments and mistakes. I have experienced the joys of a "normal" life and the torture of majors complications.  Even though I have been around awhile I will always consider myself a work in progress. There is no finish line with this lifestyle. I may come and go but I will always share my life experience and knowledge with anyone who asks. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White