Torn

(deactivated member)
on 6/8/16 3:20 pm

My surgery is this coming Tuesday the 14th and I'm so excited and nervous at the same time.. My starting weight was 331 and I had a open hysterectomy with both ovaries removed last year. After my 15 pound required weight loss my weight is 312 as of today.. My biggest concern is which procedure to have, my surgeon said he would do sleeve or rny.. If anybody has any advice on which would work better for me please give me your feedback..

White Dove
on 6/8/16 3:49 pm - Warren, OH

You will lose more weight more quickly with RNY.  You will also lose with VSG.  I had RNY surgery in 2007 and am still at goal weight, but I weigh myself daily and cut back if any gain.

Surgery is just a tool.  You have to follow the food plan and be responsible for what you eat.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

(deactivated member)
on 6/8/16 3:59 pm

Thanks  I know surgery is just a tool I had to do 6 months worth of weight checks and classes etc.. I have major bowel issues and am vitamin b1 deficient.. Also have had multiple abdominal surgeries.. I just don't want any major complications with the RNY during and after surgery..

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/8/16 4:36 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Your surgeon can probably give you better advice on which surgery is best for your medical situation.

RNY is considered the "gold standard" and there's more research on it. It's best for people with diabetes since it has a track record of putting those issues into remission. Because of the malabsorption for the first year or so, people tend to lose more quickly than with a sleeve. Dumping can deter you from sweets, but not everybody experiences it.

VSG is a much simpler procedure with (possibly, per my surgeon) fewer risks. You don't have malabsorption issues, which could be good or bad for you; I chose VSG because I don't want to mess with the absorption for my bipolar meds. It generally tends to lower amounts of grehlin, the hunger hormone, and can be a better choice for people who tend to graze rather than binge.

You'll also need to consider if your insurance pays for one or the other.

Post-op diets are very similar, as are recovery times. It's entirely possible to lose your weight with either one, as long as you follow your post-op plan strictly.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

peachpie
on 6/8/16 6:45 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

My starting weights was in your range. I was on the fence initially too. Saw my sister do VSG with little success and saw a few other people I knew do RNY with no long term success. Made me convinced I wanted the ds-- but honestly my doc didn't seem as confident with that procedure (surgically). I ultimately decided to do what seemed to be his expertise- RNY. I was worried about trading one set of obesity related health problems to surgery related ones. Thankfully, that has not been the case

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

kyhmm72
on 6/9/16 5:21 am
RNY on 06/14/16

My surgery is also scheduled for Tuesday the 14th!  I wish you the very best in whichever you choose to have.

I am having RNY because I had lapband in 2003 and that thing nearly killed me.  Got it removed in 2013.  I am going with RNY vs the sleeve due to RNY being the gold standard, and the fact that I've already 'failed' to some extent once, and I'd prefer not to have to have another weightloss surgery and revise to RNY.  I have had sever abdominal surgeries, including the band, gallbladder removal, band port reattachment, band removal, and total hysterectomy.  My surgeon feels confident he can do my RNY laparoscopic with no issues.  My highest weight at band surgery was 345, and I lost approximately 100 pounds, but gained back up to 315.  I am currently at 305, so our weights are close.  

I will be watching to see which surgery you choose and how your journey goes!  

~Helen 

Lap band - 8/2003
SW: 345
Lap band removed - 8/2013

RNY - 6/14/2016
SW: 315

Kelly L.
on 6/9/16 4:35 pm

If you have bowel problems, discuss this with your dr.   I have IBS, so I didn't want my intestines messed with.   I am also bipolar and on numerous meds, didn't want the malabsorbtion part due to that.   I also wanted the grehlin reduction (hunger hormone).    Good luck on your choice!