Calling all kayakers!

Kathy S.
on 6/8/16 2:01 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

One of the things on my WLS bucket list is Kayaking.  Since I live in NorCal now it would be something I could do year round.  

If you guys Kayak did you take lessons?  

Did you rent and practice?  

Do you start with calm waters like a lake and then work up to the ocean?  Or did you just dive in (sorry had to type that ) and buy one and go for it?

I appreciate your input!

BTW, how did it feel when you were able to get in and out and celebrated this NSV?

Thanks!

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/8/16 2:30 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Sports Authority is going out of business, they were trying to get rid of their kayaks for ridiculously cheap when I checked in last week. (Not much use for them here in the desert!) Maybe you could snag some gear there?

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Kathy S.
on 6/8/16 2:41 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

WOW Julie, that is a great idea....  Since I have not kayak'd I wonder if there are a lot of different types and which one I should get. Let me check out the website....

Thanks again!  

(deactivated member)
on 6/8/16 2:31 pm

Kayaking ocean , lake and river  is really easy ( unless you're doing it in Alaska and camping on the beach fending off grizzly bears ) or otherwise pushing yourself way too hard .  My experience is .. don't go too far because you have to paddle back lol.  Upper body exercise at least for me was lacking for many years .. so I'm not  anywhere near as strong as I am in my legs .

The GOOD news is rowing REALLY straightens out your posture , adds height and great definition and its a heck of  a lot of fun.  I would rent many types before you  buy .. you need to find the right type of boat just like any other sport to really enjoy yourself and be able t o paddle distances comfortably .

(deactivated member)
on 6/8/16 2:53 pm

I learned to kayak and an Outdoors Woman weekend. We went in a pool and learned how  to roll the thing so if you end up upside down you know how to get out. Then we went out on some marshy inlet. Maybe some organization near you gives lessons. You could also check out MeetUp . com as well and see if you can find kayakers in your area.

Good luck and have fun.

Kathy S.
on 6/8/16 2:56 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Thanks, great advice and I just assumed if you roll you fall out   MeetUp is a great suggestion too.  

RNY on 12/22/14

See if there is a canoeing/kayaking club in your area.  The people are great resources.  Sorry, I am on east coast or I would join you.

http://www.meetup.com/Sacramento-Paddle-Pushers/

Here's the Sacramento Club from my Modesto Days - there may be one closer to you.

Sharon

Kathy S.
on 6/8/16 3:49 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Well just paddle your self on over here LOL....  

Modesto is near me, I will check it out  It's something I have always wanted to do and I just love the water!

Thanks!

RNY on 12/22/14

I'll let you know the next time I am in Yosemite. 

Sharon

jenorama
on 6/8/16 6:54 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I just did a learn to kayak class through REI this last Sunday. If you're thinking of giving it a try, I suggest doing one of their classes. It's 4 hours and they give you all of the basics. I found it an excellent introduction and a way to see if it was something I really wanted to do. 

Good luck!

Jen