REALLY CONFUSED

tjsterch
on 6/8/16 11:24 am
Revision on 04/18/16

I am mid way through 2nd month after surgery & my surgeon guidelines are that I should be eating 3 ounces of protein at least 3 times a day, along with fruit and vegetables. When I did eat that way, I started gaining weight  I exercise about 6 days a week now (and do vary what I am doing, increasing a little each time) the first month I lost 24 pounds, was very happy with that, but my PA told me I should have lost 10% of my weight 28 pounds and for the first 3 months I should lose 10% of my weight each month. So far almost 3 weeks into this month I have lost 6 pounds. The only way I can do that however is to basically eat only once a day and have a protein shake.

I know my situation is a little different I had a conversion from a VBG to a RNY. I have mixed feelings, really confused & afraid I won't be successful in taking the weight off  

TJSterch 5'7 SW 284 lbs CW 210 lbs

Per month: 1st -24, 2nd -11, 3rd - 9, 4th -  8, 5th - 8, 6th - 4, 7th -2, 8th -7

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/8/16 11:28 am
RNY on 08/05/19

What exactly are you eating? Can you list out what you have in a day?

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 6/8/16 11:33 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Are you tracking what you eat on an app like MyFitnessPal?  How many calories/protein/carbs are you eating per day?  How much water are you getting in?

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

tjsterch
on 6/8/16 12:00 pm
Revision on 04/18/16

Example of daily menu:

b: 2 scrambled eggs with 2 tbs of salsa

s: 1 c 1% milk

l: 2 oz. chicken half banana

d: 2 oz. beef 1 oz. tomatoes

water intake for this day 105 oz. vitatmins taken at 7am & 4pm calcium 11am

Not currently using a program to record food just a written journal (but like the idea of the program, didn't know about it)

Per month: 1st -24, 2nd -11, 3rd - 9, 4th -  8, 5th - 8, 6th - 4, 7th -2, 8th -7

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 6/8/16 12:06 pm - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

The app geekmonster referenced is great.

I would suggest registering online, then logging in on your phone. You can edit your profile on computer (not on phone) to put in how many calories, protein, fat, carbs etc you want for the day

Then, on your phone you can log water, exercise, food, weight, etc super easily.

One of the features I love, is you can scan a barcode on food and it pulls up the nutrients automatically for you (so if you have a shake, you scan your milk/almond milk or whatever + your protein bottle), and select sizes

Definitely makes it easy to see truly what nutrients youre getting :)

On an aside, SALSA!! I wonder if I can have salsa yet with my eggs? I guess I'm (probably you, too) are not supposed to even have them, according to posts on here. 

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

tjsterch
on 6/8/16 12:25 pm
Revision on 04/18/16

I just signed up with Fitness Pal, thank you for telling me about the cell phone part - love that it can do all that stuff!!! Can't wait to really get it going, on there as me - tjsterch .

The question of salsa, at my first appointment, my PA was going over being creative with food & vegeys when she mentioned now that I was moving off the clear liquids onto soft foods I could have eggs & salsa - that would count as protein & vegeys. I was delighted.

I am falling into a food rut though, find myself not having enough variety in protein. On the brighter side, my doctor's office has sponsored monthly meetings (which meet tonight) & they usually have recipes, etc. looking forward to attending my first meeting tonight. 

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 6/8/16 12:29 pm - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

I scroll thru pinterest after searching "bariatric food recipes" or "vsg food recipes".

Im cautious what I look at and decide to save. Some of the recipes have like wonton wrappers, etc. Maybe for maintenance, but me personally I'm steering clear of those types of things. There are some pretty good looking breakfast cups that have egg, cheese, bacon, etc that you bake in muffin tins and then save. 

I've made a few low carb recipes from there as well so far for my wife to try, that would be considered bariatric friendly

Theres also eggface's blog that has a bunch (link here)

3oz 3 times a day sounds like a bunch!

SkinnyScientist
on 6/8/16 1:18 pm

Hey! I am in maintaince and I steer clear of crackers, wonton wrappers and etc.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 6/8/16 1:22 pm - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

case in point :) i actually pretty shortly after posting that saw on eggfaces blog making little snack cups out of cheese in a minimuffin tin.

could do that instead of wontons for little breakfast cups

not sure about like a yummy philly cheese eggroll tho :(

(deactivated member)
on 6/8/16 12:22 pm - CA

Having had surgery in 2001 there was little nutritional guidelines provided to us.  In fact my original surgeon's program had us eating creamed soups.   So, I completely can relate to you.    

Veggies are great, but stick with non starchy veggies.   This soon out, it might be difficult to eat some, but when you can focus on those.  I eat brussels sprouts, cauliflower and broccoli.   Again, these could bother you this early out, so keep that in mind.  

Fruits:   STEER CLEAR OF BANANAS!  High in sugar.   Stick to berries.   Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries are best.   Lower in sugar and will satisfy your fruit needs.   

The app GeekMonster indicated is great.   Track and measure food, daily.  Don't skip a day and if you eat something you aren't supposed, track it.  It is what gives us that visual of what we actually put into our mouths and how it correlates with our weight loss or lack of.   It will help you to actually see what you eat and how it impacts your ability to lose.   

Good luck!

~Nik