Is the VSG a sleeve or a pouch?

mute
on 6/8/16 7:53 am
RNY on 03/23/15

I'm generally a lurker because I only post when I have something to add anymore but I've seen you reference multiple times people 'attacking' or taking things too seriously.

But our health is serious. Knowing whether we have a pouch or a sleeve or what the f ever is important as we are our own health advocates and I've seen many many many people come on here not knowing anything about the surgery that was just done to their body. And honestly not caring to find out that information.

I'm not a vet obviously as you can see by the fact I'm only 15 months out. But if I know that there are people like that out there imagine how the true vets around who have been here for 4 years, 8 years feel? So IMO them correcting something like sleeve when someone doesn't have a sleeve is helpful. I was corrected when I said something wrong 15 months ago. My whole damn diet was corrected and 187 pounds later I am SO THANKFUL for that.

But you mentioning it over and over again that 'some people' are serious about things or on another post you referenced to take some things some people say with a grain of salt or along those lines. That's not cool. And yes passive aggressive to the extreme.

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 6/8/16 7:56 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

I would absolutely consider you a vet. You should consider yourself one, as well. :)

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

seattledeb
on 6/8/16 5:16 pm

Thanks for sharing your strength and progress.   

The Salty Hag
on 6/8/16 8:26 am
RNY on 05/20/13

Stop. Just stop this now, Chris.

You've managed to get at least one person convinced, and that could be really dangerous for that person. 

You've had your fun, but now it's time to put a cork in it. 

You may think the terms are interchangeable, and while the words themselves in other contexts might be; the post surgical instructions ARE NOT. And THAT is why this info is really bordering on being dangerous. THAT is why the terms shouldn't be used interchangeably. 

What if a new post-op gets confused by this thread and mistakenly follows RNY advice rather than VSG? If you continue with this, that may happen. You don't want that to happen, do you? 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 6/8/16 8:43 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

Of course not.

Do people really come here and seek advice based on pouch vs sleeve, and not bypass vs VSG, though?

Grim_Traveller
on 6/8/16 8:47 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Yes, they do.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

The Salty Hag
on 6/8/16 9:18 am
RNY on 05/20/13

Yes, they do, but that shouldn't matter. Now who's splitting hairs? 

Even if no one has yet to search for that,  is that a chance you're willing to take? Really? 

Some people actually take advice to heart. I'm worried for future newbies if they take this thread at face value. This thread could be around for 10 years or more. Threads that old show up in searches all the time. 

I am 3 years out, so your insistence on interchangeable terms means nothing to me, but to a new post-op who isn't completely familiar with the in's and out's-it could be mean everything. 

For the record, I'd never, ever refer to my pouch as a sleeve...because it's not. 

By all means, if you think your calling your sleeve a pouch is THAT important to you-fine, have at it. Nevermind any potential problems you might cause anyone else in the future. Chris wants what he wants-at any cost. 

I'm done here. 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 6/8/16 9:23 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

There have been a lot of posts/replies on this, so I dont fault you for not having read them all

I try to refer to my sleeve as a sleeve. I am fine with referring to it as such.

The purpose of my research was to see if when people are so quick to jump on a person for incorrectly calling their modified stomach one thing or another, whether or not the person was even wrong in the first place.

I understand the purpose of referring to one vs another. 

I just wanted to know that if Joe Schmoe is really incorrect in their mistake or not.

Thats all :) 

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 6/8/16 11:14 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Like I've said on those prior posts, the reason why on here sleevers refer to their new stomach as a sleeve is because on here in this community, sleeve means 1 thing, a pouch means another. Post op care, diet requirements, complications etc is based on using the right verbage to give the right information to those that want it.

That's why on here, sleeve & pouch are not 1 & the same. It's also why I pointed out on those prior posts, that as long as the op & his Dr are on the same page, as in getting post op treatment for his sleeve (vsg), rather than his pouch (rny), they can use the word pouch as much as they like. 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Patm
on 6/8/16 9:59 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Yes. Terminology makes things clear. You are making things murky. Really not helpful at all