Julie's Foolproof Jerky (5DMT approved!)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/7/16 3:16 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I just made a batch of this, since it goes QUICK at our house. All protein, really spicy, and a great snack!

You don't need a fancy dehydrator, I got mine for $40 on Amazon. You can often find them in good shape at Goodwill, too.

Ingredients:

• 2lb London broil, cut into 1/4" slices
  • 1/2 bottle Louisiana hot sauce
  • 1/2 bottle Yucatan Sunshine hot sauce
  • 1/2 bottle Montreal steak seasoning

Dump the sauce and seasoning into a gallon-size zipper bag. Add the meat, close the bag, and shake until everything is coated.

Let the meat marinate in the fridge at least overnight.

Put the meat in the dehydrator and run for 9 - 10 hours, or until the meat is no longer pink and it's as crunchy as you like.

Nutrition info, via MFP, for a 2oz serving (1/16 of a batch): 113 calories, 3g carbs, 21g protein.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 6/7/16 6:18 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Now I'll have to add a dehydrator to my Amazon wish list, along with that vacuum sealer thing. LOL Great info!

On a side note, did you watch that movie The Martian? I jus****ched it the other day & there was this 1 saying he had, to paraphrase. "In the face of overwhelming obstacles I'm left with only 1 choice, I'm gonna science the **** out of this thing!. I so thought of you when he said that part. Yeah science! 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

on 6/7/16 6:37 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Oh hell yes! Have you seen much "Good Eats" on Food Network? Brilliant show, they really went into the science of a lot of things. How to make bread rise properly, the chemistry behind properly-cooked meat, lots of stuff. I think there are some episode on Netflix!

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 6/7/16 7:00 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Ooh, I'll have to look it up. Never got into the science portion of my food other than the See Food, Eat Food portion of it lol. 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

NYMom222
on 6/7/16 6:29 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

That actually sounds pretty easy. Hmmmm Sometimes Aldi's has dehydrators cheap.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

on 6/7/16 6:35 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

This is the one we use, $60 on Amazon. We've had it for years and use it once a week and it's held up wonderfully. It's an upgrade from this model, which I had before, and found on sale for $35.

NYMom222
on 6/7/16 6:43 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Do you make anything besides Jerky?

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

on 6/7/16 6:57 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I do banana chips and apple slices for when I need cycling snacks, and I've done fruit leather several times for my husband though it's too carby for me.

I also use it to make chicken snacks for my dogs-- way safer than the stuff made in China!

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/7/16 7:18 pm

I live in SC. I can only use my cheap dehydrator in winter. Way too humid during any other time of the year.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

CMR1075
on 6/7/16 7:54 pm
VSG on 01/15/16

Well now I need to go buy a dehydrator lol. Thanks for the snack recipe because I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE beef jerky.