Pickles

chassibi
on 6/7/16 11:25 am

Hey gals and guys:

strange question. Pre-op, I loved Famous Dave's sweet and spicy pickles. I had only just discovered them, and ate them like 3x before surgery. I know pickles are not a good source of ANYTHING, so please understand I'm talking about eating 5-6 slices twice a week. However, Famous Dave's sugar content is too high, I'm not willing to risk dumping, or even find out if I'm a dumper this early on. I've been super duper careful about that. I don't even want to know right now.

Does anyone have a dill pickle brand that is also spicy that they recommend? 

Thanks!

Consult Weight:276/Surgery Day Weight: 241.6 /Goal Weight: 150

Deanna798
on 6/7/16 11:50 am
RNY on 08/04/15

so funny that you posted this.  Sparklekitty (Julie) just shared this recipe the other day.  If you're willing to make some yourself...

2c h2o, 1.75c vinegar, .5c sugar, 2T salt. Boil, cool, fill jars w cuke, garlic, peppers, fresh dill. Lid & refrigerate.

Boil:

• 2 cups water
  • 1.75 cups white vinegar
  • .5 cup white sugar
  • 2 tablespoons salt

Let the mix cool on the stove. In the meantime, divide the following into four quart-size mason jars:

• 6 cucumbers, cut into spears
  • Several tablespoons of minced garlic
  • Red pepper flakes
  • Sliced jalapenos
  • Diced serranos
  • Fresh dill

Pour the liquid into the jars and seal with lids and rings. Let them sit on the counter for 2 days, then move them to the fridge.

Apparently they were pretty good after a week of sitting, and even better after two or three!

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/7/16 12:02 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Yup, these got rave reviews from my co-workers yesterday! If you're worried about the sugar content, you could probably scale it back to one or two tablespoons, but the amount that ends up in any one pickle (out of four jars' worth) if small.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Oxford Comma Hag
on 6/7/16 11:59 am

I don't know if Farman's pickles are available near you, but they are tasty.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

chassibi
on 6/7/16 12:23 pm

Thanks ya'll! I'm going to make these, hopefully this weekend!

Heather P.
on 6/7/16 12:24 pm

Ugh that sounds so good!  I never ate pickles before surgery but I have been craving them since surgery!  Unfortunately I can't have them until 6 months out.  

Ht 5'7" HW 406, SW 361

RNY 3/28/16

RNY on 12/22/14

I think that you might not really need to eat 5-6 twice a week forever.  I occ have a few with chicken or some other meat on top (ie like a pickle instead of a cracker)- but 2-3 slices may be enough - you are not going to fill up on them, just use them for a change of taste.  I got a small container of ones I really wanted at the farmer's market and after a few, well, they were just veggies and sat at the back of the frig.  Also be careful of the salt content.

PS - I did not stray from the surg list until I reached goal wt (except for Easter and a family Wedding). 

Sharon

chassibi
on 6/7/16 2:53 pm

Yep I understand the sodium is a concern. They are actually not prohibited on my surgeon's list, but I will double check when I have a follow up this week. Thanks!

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 6/7/16 4:28 pm - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

Like the others recipe it's super easy to make 

I make my own dill and spicy/sweet pickles. Well, used to. 

There is a lot of sugar in the spicy sweet variant but I imagine that could be replaced with a sugar substitute if you're ok with those :)

super easy and cheap to make!

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

crystal M.
on 6/8/16 7:46 am - Joliet, IL

I am wondering if you could make regular pickles spicy.  If you found any kind of pickles out there with an acceptable amount of sugar in them and cut up some jalapenos or whatever your pepper of choice and let it sit for a time.  I am sure it would spice up any pickle...wouldn't it???