Vertical gastric sleeve done on June 1

ARP55
on 6/7/16 8:12 am
VSG on 06/07/16

Hello everyone,

i had vgs surgery on June 1 and I am currently working through my 7 day clear fluid diet. I am not having any issues staying hydrated. I am wondering, can one drink too much fluid or jello on the clear fluid diet? 

I am also looking for some support as I had this surgery done out of town (country actually). 

I was was a revision surgery as I had a lap band removed in March of this year. I feel good in comparison to my last surgery as my port had grown into my abdominal muscles which caused an aggressive removal in March's surgery.

I had a 2 inch hernia repaired during my surgery. What has everyone else's pain been like this far out of surgery? I had to see my family md for pain meds. I also overdid it yesterday by cleaning and am paying for it.

can anyone suggest a board or group or forum for vgs patients done?

any ideas for clear fluid liquid diet?

Thanks in advance,

Kathy S.
on 6/7/16 8:46 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi and Congratulations on your surgery.  Click here and it will take you to our VSG Forum.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 6/7/16 9:06 am, edited 6/7/16 2:07 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

I am a believer in attending bariatric support groups - at least for the first year.  In the 18 months since I had surgery I have mostly gone to my surgeon's support group, once to the one put on by Dr. N's office staff (of 600 pound Life) when I was traveling for a few months, and twice to a hospital in a neighboring state.  I learn from all of then, even if it is only how hard making the changes are.  Also, do you need to find a local dr to do your long-term follow up? - the other people at the meeting might be resources for that.

I committed to going to 10 of 12 months for the first year.  People say you need to learn how to drive this new body - this is how you do it.

Because you had your surgery in another place, you will have to look for one rather than just show up at your surgeon's office at the right time.

All Bariatric Centers of Excellence - Hospitals have to have a support group to qualify.  So, you can check them. The webpage will tell you if you need to register or anything - I did not, I just went.  I saw one that had a $5 charge if you did not have surgery there - but that was rare - for only one location.  Some drs offices (like Dr. N) have an Open Meeting - anyone can attend - but they ask you to call ahead and put your name on the list.  At Dr. N's - the meeting was led by the NUIT and I did not see Dr. N (they had told me ahead of time, but I did not do to tee Dr. N, I went to go to a support group because I had been traveling and could not get home).   The NUIT was very experienced and had some great tips.

If you cannot find one, let me know and I might be able to help.

PS - I am an 18 month WLS 'veteran', so I can say this with a stern look.  I am not amused that you overdid it only a week after surgery.  That is how you incur complications and become a WLS horror story.  (The best response to my warning is something like - message understood, or I learned from that mistake. )  The time to take risks is down the road when you are all healed and go zip lining or something cool like that.

Sharon

Kelly L.
on 6/7/16 9:29 am

Hi, congrats on being Sleeved!   Welcome to the boards, and yes, there is one specifically for the VSG.   Forums, surgery type, Vertical Sleeve.  You can use popsicles on the clear fluid diet.  Good luck to you!!