Question

Tomword
on 6/6/16 1:47 pm

Hello,

I began the preparation for the vertical sleeve a few months ago. I am now questioning having the surgery. I'm 65 with a BMI of 41.1. I've lost 25 lbs since starting this journey using the eating skills and exercise that is suggested. My fear is my age affecting my recuperation after surgery.

I honestly don't know what to do or what I am going to do.

Did anyone have the same second thoughts?

Thank you to all of you.

Tom

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/6/16 2:11 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

There are plenty of people on the forums here who've had surgery in their 60s! I'm sure some of them will chime in here.

Have you asked your doctor for his/her opinion on your recovery? The surgeon is the one who's seen hundreds and hundreds of patients and has the most firsthand experience.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

White Dove
on 6/6/16 2:29 pm - Warren, OH

If you attain a healthy weight and luck is with you, it is not unreasonable to expect to live until 100.  You might as well have 35 years of not struggling with the weight.

The pre-op diet helps to learn new habits.  Doctors like to perform surgery when you are at the lower weight.  Without the surgery you have a 95% chance of gaining that 25 pounds back.

My doctor tells me that there are old people and there are fat people, but there are no old, fat people.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

NYMom222
on 6/6/16 6:20 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Don't let age stop you! You still have life to live, and I can tell you this is a much better life. I was a happy person before but I wasn't living life like I wanted to.

Yes you lose weight before surgery, but can you maintain it long term? This is the first time I am a normal weight in my adult life, and the first time I have the hope of keeping it off.... however long God grants me on this good earth. 

Most of us had fears of the unknown going in...what will it be like etc.... don't let it stop you. I am not in my 60's, but 58 next month.

No regrets.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Valapp
on 6/7/16 7:17 am

In 2009 at the age of 64, I had the lap-band surgery.  I lost from my highest weight to 280 down to around 220.  As much as I tried, I couldn't lose any more weight and in fact gained back about 10 pounds to 230.   I maintained that weight for several years and I was okay, but not happy with my weight loss.  Fast forward to 2014 and I started having all the classic symptoms of lap-band problems, severe reflux, food getting stuck, vomiting etc.  Finally in spring 2015, I met with a new surgeon who I had found that was experienced in revision surgery. He sent me for an EGD and said the lap-band had to come out and he would only revise me to gastric bypass due to my severe reflux.  I had the surgery last July 27th at age 70.  I have lost 70 pounds since then and now wear a size 10 pants and a medium top.  My surgeon's office prepared me from the beginning I would not lose as fast as someone younger and also because I was a revision patient.  I feel so much better, have so much more energy and am off several medications.  Please don't let your age deter you from getting healthier.  I felt I was too old at 64 and I really worried about it at age 70, but it was the best thing I ever did for myself.  If you have any other questions, let me know. 

HW 280

CW 168

Goal 165

Pookie01
on 6/7/16 9:27 am

You are not too old.    I had to laugh as I told my doctor I was probably one of the oldest sleeve patients and was told they do them on people until the age of 70.   I am 64 years old and had my sleeve on the 13th of April.  I had lost about 30 pounds prior to the surgery and have lost 35 since.   I would have to say the surgery went much better than I expected.   I feel great and have not been on my med for hypertension since two days before surgery.  My energy level has increased.   Only regret is not having it sooner.    I will not lie to you there are times that are difficult and it is a life long commitment but give up the good and go for the great.  Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Judy  5'5"  HW 298  SW 270

Tomword
on 6/7/16 1:01 pm

Thank you. Talked my Dr this morning and he told he done successful surgery on several patients. I will write more later. Your experience is very valuable.

thanks again,

Tom