DEXA SCAN & RMR Results!

bruindiva92
on 6/7/16 1:11 pm
Revision on 03/29/17

Thank you for sharing your journey.

After sleeping on this for a night, I am ready to lose the remaining 11 pounds.  I have reduced my calories to 1500 daily as of yesterday and my protein is now 175+ grams per day.  My only concern is that I do become constipated even with laxatives with such a high protein intake.  However, protein is the only thing that keeps me full.  I will continue the 1500 calories until June 30 and reduce the calories once again in July.

I will continue to move forward with my Year 2 Plan --my body is happy, I am happy with what I see looking back at me but psychologically, I haven't found my "sweet spot".  I may have to seek therapy with this.  

Thank you again for your input.

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 6/7/16 2:26 pm, edited 6/7/16 7:32 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Where did you get the 175 gms of prot a day is reasonable?? 

I have to tell you that nothing you wrote about your Year 2 plan really makes sense in light of what I know of published research for long term wt loss following bariatric surgery.  Can you go back to your surg/NUIT and get a more scientifically supported plan.

Some ideas based:

Reduce cal to 1200 (which is on the high side for maintaining).  

I never heard of more than 100 gms of prot being recommended for someone at your wt level.  There is a formula given by a nurse at a OH seminar that is on one of the videos.  I'll see if I can find it.  (For me at 142, the formula gave me a goal  of 80-85 gms per day, which is also what I found out my plast surgeon wants for good healing following plastic surgery.  I can't image that you need twice as much - esp as it is causing constipation. Perhaps, add more veggies (which will also help with your constipation) if you are eating slowly and still hungry - I don;t know what you are doing for portion control, but I'm sure you are doing something - weighing, measuring - because you are keeping an accurate calorie count.

Are you going to your support group meetings - that may help keep you on track.

I don't mean to be negative, but your plan (1500 cal/day and 175 gms of prot)  simply does not make much sense to me if you want to lose more weight.

Here is the link to my post - at the bottom I have the equation and link to the OH video about how many gms of prot you need.  I hope this helps.

Sharon

bruindiva92
on 6/7/16 3:28 pm
Revision on 03/29/17

I've had a high protein intake early out--surgeon is well aware of this.  I was advised to eat no less than 100g and not to exceed 200g.

I have to reduce my calories gradually (for medical reasons non-WLS related). If I do well at 1500 then, I can drop to 1300 in July.  

Water (plain & flavored) and veggies are not my friend--green beans and collard greens are about all I can tolerate.  Every other vegetable I've tried makes me physically ill.  I may retry a few in the future. My surgeon does want me to incorporate carbs--rice,pasta & bread--personally, not ready for the rice & pasta.  I may have a slice a bread twice a month.

Yes, I weigh everything I eat--I even have a scale in my purse!  I eat 5-6 small meals per day. 

Again, thank you for your advise and support.

RNY on 12/22/14

Glad you're still in contact with your surgeon, when people have such narrow window of foods they can eat, close monitoring is always a good thing.  What does he recommend for you, now that you're ~a year out? 

Sharon

bruindiva92
on 6/7/16 6:49 pm
Revision on 03/29/17

My surgeon really, really wants me to add carbs--a spoonful of rice, spoon of pasta.

He explained that my water issue has been seen in about 1% of his patients. He doesn't know why, but it happens. The water intolerance seems to be a permanent thing.  He thinks the veggie problem may resolve itself over time.

Ideally, he wants me to eat 1200-1600 daily, 100g+ of protein and a minimum of 90 of fluids.  The small meals are OK.  He did explain that my weight loss will be at a snail's pace if I stick to the plan.  He warned that these last 10 pounds may take 12-18 months.