DEXA SCAN & RMR Results!

jenorama
on 6/6/16 3:03 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

That's interesting about your RMR. I had mine tested years and years ago and I burn w whole 8 calories per pound. At your current weight that's 1368 if I do absolutely nothing else. I don't think your metabolism is any more "shot" than mine is, we're just super-efficient! I'm glad you had your bone density checked. I had mine done last year, but I don't recall getting a number value. If you really want to increase your RMR, weight training will do the trick. I've been trying to motivate myself to start too!

Jen

bruindiva92
on 6/6/16 3:06 pm
Revision on 03/29/17

I like the way you look at things!  I really need to work on my batwings--my son thinks I can fly now!!!!

jenorama
on 6/6/16 7:24 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

You and me both!  I'm sure with a little fairy dust I'll be able to flap myself straight up into the air!

Jen

Laura in Texas
on 6/6/16 5:19 pm

Your numbers look great. I think your goal of 160 is very reasonable for you. The range does seem to vary slightly, but most seem to have around 25-30% as being "average" body fat percentage for women (with 20-25 being the "fitness" range).

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

bruindiva92
on 6/6/16 5:41 pm
Revision on 03/29/17

Laura,

Thank you for responding. I think 160 will be just fine--now, I need a plan of action to lose the remaining 11 pounds.  

At this point, I am not sure if I can reduce my daily caloric intake to 800 to jump start the weight loss.

NYMom222
on 6/6/16 6:08 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

BMI is sort of a generic body fat formula, doesn't translate exactly. There are formulas out there for taking your lean body mass and figuring out what weight you should be to be a certain percentage body fat. That is if you don't lose any muscle mass as you lose more weight. I am thinking of having a repeat when I go to visit my son next week....

So interesting that your metabolism came out so low. Mine came out high...which I found so hard to believe. I was actually considering having that tested again too...

At the time I was told I had 145lbs of lean body mass... I am interested to see if I did lose any muscle as I lost this last 40lbs....

Here's a link to a calculator:

Body fat using lean body mass

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

bruindiva92
on 6/6/16 6:49 pm
Revision on 03/29/17

Thanks for sharing the link to the calculator.  

I think 160 pounds would be ideal for me. Question for you? What was your daily caloric intake as you lost the last 40 pounds?

NYMom222
on 6/6/16 7:26 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I don't count calories per se. I have done occasional weeks on my fitness pal to spot check... I know mostly in year one I was between 750-950.... I am not trying to lose now, did a check on myself the other day and had eaten 1800. Several things effected my losing the last 40lbs. I take thyroid medicine, had bloodwork and found out my results were off and my meds were increased. About a months or so after I was on the new meds, I started losing again. I had 2 plastic surgeries over the last couple of months, while the surgeon only took off 5 1/2lbs, I did lose weight after each one, I think typical post-surgery.... don't feel like eating.

My doc says count protein and coun****er/fluids. I look at the carbs of individual items, and don't choose high carb, but don't tally my carbs for the day. My surgeon's mantra I try to follow is: Protein first, the veggies and then if you have any room fruits and then (starchy) carbs. He never says no carbs just put it on the end of the list. I am open to counting calories if needed, but so far so good. I became too obsessive on MFP. I prefer to menu plan ahead, and stick to a protein forward diet, lots of fluids (not necessarily plain water) I do try to get 100g+ of protein a day. I still use protein drinks, trying to keep them 100% Whey protein isolate (although I do love the convenience of Premier) as I find I do better on that.

I also weigh daily, and record once a week to keep myself on track. Keeps me honest, and I can see if I am doing the wrong things before it gets away from me. Can't let it drive you crazy though, there will be fluctuations. I am picking a goal 5lb range, not a single number, as we will never be that single number everyday. Still figuring that out. What is my 'happy place' in maintenance. Hence thinking about the dexascan again...

Not really a good answer to your how many calories? Hope it might be helpful anyway...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

bruindiva92
on 6/6/16 8:04 pm
Revision on 03/29/17

This is very helpful.

MFP keeps me on track.  I know I sound obsessive at times as I discuss my weight here and with a select few. I log everything everyday and I weigh everyday.  Personally, I wouldn't succeed if I didn't have this routine.

I want to maximize my weight loss in the first 2 years.  I will say, I feel comfortable at 171 but I think I will feel even better at 160 both psychologically and physically.  The lower weight will give me some room for possible weight gain in the future.

I am doing 100g+ of protein daily while getting in 100 oz of fluids.  I use protein drinks as cream for my coffee.  My surgeon wants me to incorporate more carbs-- I am a die hard carnivore--red meats, poultry and no veggies!  I was eating Costco green beans until they were recalled! I do have yogurt daily.

Year 2 of my journey requires some adjustments, rethinking & reworking.

Thank you again for your guidance and input.

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 6/7/16 9:22 am, edited 6/7/16 2:34 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Take some pictures of yourself - for all angles - with and without your head - you'll know when you are happy.

Just stay on the WLS diet and you will know when you have lost enough - when you wt loss levels out. 

My orig goal was 165 -my lowest wt in high school, some 40 years ago.  But when I got there, my body wanted to lose some more, so I just stayed on the post-op plan and lost another 20.  I am glad I did, because that last 20 made my knees feel better. 

You are just a little more than a year out and at 170, I would be targeting more for 25% body fat, unless you are planning on having more children.  You also may need some cushion in case you have some regain in the 2-3 yr period.

I do not count calories and I'm back to weighing once a week.  I stay on the WLS diet - prot first - I shoot for 80 grams- then some veggies, then some carbs.  For carbs, I try to have real-food carbs and not sugar. 

ie - Keep going if you can.

Sharon