Advice ! Saving for surgery

Roma
on 6/5/16 4:59 pm
RNY on 06/15/15

Thank you Laura! You've been an inspiration here so I really appreciate your tips.

Referral: 8/14; Orientation TWH: 12/14; Nurse: 01/15; SW, Dietician, Psych: 2/15; Surgeon: 5/15; RNY: June 15/2015

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/5/16 6:10 pm

I don't know your habits..so don't know what can you save - limit or eliminate to help saving.  I saved for years before my RNY - so I had savings.  But ...during time after RNY - I tried to save some more. 

There are a few things I did

• When I finally decided to cut my hair short - I still stretched the cuts to every 6 weeks instead of every 4 weeks. I do my own hair color. 
  • I do my own nails. 
  • Had monthly budget for clothes - very small - and shopped in thrift stores/salvation army. I would buy things that I could wear for 1-2 months. I would have just enough to last me a week. Wash, match differently... Next week... 
  • Couponing - Every little bit helped. But - I would buy things I did not use - even when it was on sale.  
  • Budget Food. I can eat cheaply - if I had to. Buying things in bulk - portion and freeze.  Eggs are pure proteins and they can help strech the budget and still get enough proteins.  Green tea and fruit infused water - are cheaper that flavorings. 
  • Vitamins and minerals - I bought mine in CVS - their brand - while on sale BOGO. I would stop once or 2 x a week to check on sales.  Even chewable - their multi would cost me less than $5 for monthly supply. 
  • Of you are getting any gifts from family or friends - either ask for small specific item you really need to buy anyway - or ask them to "donate" to the small find.
  • Instead of gym membership - get some used tapes - weights and use that at home. There are a lot of free items on the web. Plus there is always the outdoors or mall to walk. 
  • Turning up (or down in winter) termostat may save a few $$$
  • When going out with friends - either just getting coffee or tea while they eat - and still be social...you can have good time while they are eating.  BTW: I am 8 years post op and sometimes I just dontbwant to eat. (my gut is upset) but I still go out and spend time with my friends... Once they got used to that I don't always eat food - they are more than OK with that. Coffee or decaff is just fine...(just don't steal their food and make sure you eat before the meal)
  • Theater - movies - I realized that eventually things are going to be on TV - I could wait.  
  • Music - in my area there are a lot of free concerts - specially during spring - summer. Find out where are free entertainment in your area.

Things like evaluation your TV - internet - and cell phone is given. Are there cheaper plans that you can use? I.e my frinds gave up the DTV - they have internet - and they have Netflix for movies - and local digital antenna for local 8-12 chanels.  They saved $70 per month.. 

Last but not least - find part time job. Summer time - people got on vacation - someone needs to look after their pets.  When I travel - I can have a profesional pet sitter to look after our cats but I rather pay that to a friend of mine *****ally loves my critters... I trust her.. 

Tell family and friends that you can help for money... Or get a weekend job... Or evening job. 

Sell things... Find out what you have - don't need - and get rid if it. Even books or tapes, cd's...etc. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Roma
on 6/6/16 6:50 am
RNY on 06/15/15

Amazing advice thanks Hala. Tons of good tips here. I never thought of that, but I have so much stuff I could sell to make money.

Thank you! 

Referral: 8/14; Orientation TWH: 12/14; Nurse: 01/15; SW, Dietician, Psych: 2/15; Surgeon: 5/15; RNY: June 15/2015

Laura in Texas
on 6/7/16 6:39 am

I sell a lot of stuff on facebook "Beg Barter Buy Sell" groups. I usually meet them at a gas station or Walgreens. It can be a pain (people change their mind, don't show up, etc), but most of the time I have a good experience.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Roma
on 6/7/16 7:18 am
RNY on 06/15/15

I'm kicking myself for not thinking of this before donating 6 trash bags of beautiful plus-sized clothing to Goodwill! 

Tracy D.
on 6/7/16 12:59 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I sold my piano, used some retirement funds that I decided I could forfeit and charged some of it on a no-interest card.  A year later I still feel it was worth every penny! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15