Fatty Liver

marias14
on 6/2/16 10:05 pm
RNY on 06/09/16

So I got a call today from the hospital asking me all my pre op questions. The lady asked if I had been following the pre-surgery diet. I said no one told me I needed to be on a pre-surgery diet. She said that my ultra sound showed I had a fatty liver. It was all I could do to not say "lady I'm having this surgery cause everything on my body is fatty".  So she said to not eat anything fatty or any carbs between now and my surgery. My surgery is one week from today. I'm kinda worried that I screwed up by not being on some diet that my doctor didn't tell me to do. Then to make my fears even worse my husband asked me today to show him how to log into our bank account and how to log into all the websites I go to to pay bills in case something were to happen to me.

obioxiupa
on 6/2/16 10:28 pm

You should talk to your surgeon about this tomorrow.  

Many of of us have fatty liver.  The preop diet helps shrink the size of the liver.  Your doctor should know what you need for surgery.  Talk to them about it asap.

good luck

Tara

Vsg April 25th 2016 with Benjamin Shadle.

Starting weight 351, surgery weight 331

M1 -22.2 M2 - 14.2 M3 -8.9 M4 - 12.1 M5 - 4.7

8/22/2016 Lost 60.1 since surgery.  Lost 78.2 overall.

Goals:  1)Get under 300 - done!  Yeah!  2) Get under 280 (Yeah met this on 8/10/16) 3)Get under 268 (stay tuned!)

Deanna798
on 6/3/16 6:58 am
RNY on 08/04/15

Don't panic. My surgeon only has us do a 1 week pre-op diet, so there is still time.  I would go lean protein and non-starchy veg.  and your doctor may well put  you on a diet when you see him.

As for your hubby asking for the log in info, that was very wise of him.  You will likely not have any issues, but it's best if he has that info "just in case".  I know it's scary, but any surgery has a risk.  Feel good in the fact that your husband is a sensible person who thinks ahead. 

Good luck and be safe.  

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 6/3/16 10:12 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Your husband should already have those passwords and you should have any for the accounts that he manages.  Not because of the WLS surgery, but because anything can happen and we should prepare to soldier on.  There are booklets and lists to help keep this info in one place.   

About the surgery, it is major surgery, so your doctor should have discussed the risks with you.  The last mortality rate I saw was .5% - about the same as for a gall bladder operation.  Again, this is a discussion you should have with your surgeon.

The fatty liver - the liver is suspended out of the way - I saw this on a youtube video with a thing called a Liver Retractor - it' easier for surgeons if the liver is smaller. (and the dr on the video said safer for the liver.)  I agree with the other posters - talk to your doctor. 

I'm sure you're doing this anyway - But start and stay on the pre-op diet - a week maybe long enough to shrink the liver to a good degree - but your dr will know for sure.     

Sharon