Reheated Chicken Problem?

marias14
on 6/2/16 5:32 am
RNY on 06/09/16

That is exactly what he was telling me he can't eat any left overs at all. 

KansasPrincess
on 6/2/16 5:39 am - Gardner, KS
VSG on 10/15/15

that's where I am and im almost 8 mo out.

HEIGHT 5'6" HW: 422.7 CW: 267.8 SURGERY DATE: 10/15/15 GW:160-170 VSG IN TIJUANA MEXICO WITH DR. JAIME PONCE DE LEON- REVISION TO RNY WITH DR. J. STEPHEN SCOTT, KS. 10/16/18

Heather P.
on 6/2/16 6:12 am

I have had problems with reheated chicken a couple times since surgery, it gets too dry.  Now I only reheat it a little bit and it doesn't get as dry.

Ht 5'7" HW 406, SW 361

RNY 3/28/16

moe4572
on 6/2/16 8:44 am
with

I have had problems with chicken reheated as well, but other leftovers have been fine. I think it is like others said...it just gets too dry.

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 6/2/16 12:04 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

I am almost always eating leftovers - but moist.  Left would be so complicated it I could not.  In the 1-2 months after surgery, it can be tricky because some foods will give you problems that will be fine later on.  I had to bake my chicken in spag sauce to keep it moist.

Sharon

(deactivated member)
on 6/2/16 12:44 pm

I choke on reheated meat since surgery even often meat on steam tables at buffets . The answer for me is more and more fresh and vegetarian eating .  Its hard not to put away leftovers ( I always used to cook for six- me myself second and third helpings .. and "just in case I get hungry " but I've realized I jhardly ever eat them and almost never FINISH them so whats the point ?

Now I take out what I plan to cook realize its WAY too much for me to eat even twice and put at least half of it back to cook fresh for another meal .  I really prefer fresh cooked easy to prepare food ( like oriental dishes ) over stews that take hours , crockpot meals casseroles etc.

Its funny it took five years post op for me to finally get my head right around " head hunger " .  Now I realize that I'm not hungry because my body doesn't need to eat right now.  An emotional fix now might be walking or getting on the internet or jus****ching tv ... sans food or annoying commercials .  Also trying on clothes :)

NYMom222
on 6/2/16 6:52 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

If it is reheated using a microwave oven it can get very rubbery. The whole first year I would reheat by putting it in a small frypan with a lid, adding a little water, so it would steam reheat to keep it moist. Now that I am further out it is not as much a problem....

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

travsis3890
on 6/3/16 1:20 am

If you are to reheat chicken, or any food item for that matter. Make sure you reheat it properly. It must be piping hot and the heat should penetrate the food item inside out, not merely on the surface.

Improper reheating may not kill the leftover bacterias that crop up in leftover food.

Renren
on 6/5/16 11:09 am
VSG on 12/02/15

I couldn't eat reheated chicken or meat of any kind until I reheated a different way.  I put it on a plate, add about a tsp of water, cover with an upside bowl, and microwave it for 30 seconds or so. It makes it moist again. 

5'2.5" Surgery date/ 12-02-15 Dr.Valentine Boise ID

Highest:289 SW/212 CW 122

Goal/125-130

Goal reached at 10 months

Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 6/5/16 2:10 pm - Belleville, IL

Everyone's had GREAT advice. Reheated chicken always sucked to me, unless I reheated it or steamed it with liquid to make it very moist (especially "early out" within the first year of surgery).

I learned that if I turned the microwave to like 10% power and cooked it about 3-4 minutes at a time, checked, etc...That it cooked up less dry and more juicy (add a bit of broth for flavored juice).

Crock-potting and soups/stews were my best friend. Any leftovers would go into a crock-pot (or a thinly sliced beef/pork or lamb roast) throw some healthy veggies in there and man, I had delish meals and snacks for a week.

Good luck

Warmly,~

Jackie