Telling People About WLS

Lovely_Caprice
on 5/26/16 7:31 am

I am a bit of a private person and in the Fall I will be getting WLS in Ottawa.  I will be taking leave from my job (about 4 weeks) and I was wondering if the "sick leave form" from the doctor/hospital states that it comes from the Weight Management Clinic and it is for WLS surgery?  I really don't want to broadcast this to the whole world?  Anyone feel like me?  I would hate to use my vacation leave for the surgery but I will do that if it means keeping this private. 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/26/16 7:37 am
RNY on 08/05/19

You don't have to give specifics to anyone. If HR pushes for details you can say you're "having surgery" and for all they know you're getting a knee reconstructed.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 5/26/16 8:41 am
ReShape on 10/30/16

I too am a pretty private person and didn't really mention my surgery to anyone leading up to it or even afterwards. If they asked I did tell them but I figure I really don't own anyone I don't approach on my own with it an explanation.

The only weird thing getting used to was when I ran into someone I knew a few months or even a few weeks after surgery and said hello. They just kind of looked said hi and didn't know who I was. They had the "god I know I've seen him somewhere before" look on their face but didn't put it together. At first I thought, god how rude then over time I realized that they just didn't  know who I was. It was kind of funny after that.

Good luck with your surgery and subsequent healing and enjoy your new life!  Rich

Murk
on 5/26/16 9:03 am
VSG on 07/11/16

I have the same issue and I talked it over with my provider.

They said they always try to be vague and in my case will write "medically necessary inpatient surgery" and if more details are required they will add "to correct back and leg pain"

Talk to your provider, they have certainly come across this before.

pammieanne
on 5/26/16 9:27 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

I had planned on being more private about this surgery...

Then my personality burst through, and my big mouthed self had a hard time with that...

So here I am telling people like the glass guy that showed up at my house 1 week post-op. He was about 6'7" tall and probably 170lbs. One of the skinniest guys I've ever seen. I wobbled to the door to let him in, and when he asked how I was doing (I had mentioned surgery, because I couldn't stand and talk to him for a long time), I just blurted it out!

I've just started telling everyone... I kind of find it interesting to watch their faces, because I've been so blunt about it, they don't know what they're supposed to say or how to react...

I figure they are going to talk about me anyway, so now at least they have the facts about it.

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

obioxiupa
on 5/26/16 9:33 am

I took the maximum leave allowed without taking an official leave, and my boss agreed to let me work short days from home for a week as well.  I didn't tell anyone at work - not even my boss, just that I had surgery.

The only people I've told is my husband and kids, not even my siblings.  My mother in law knows, but I wish she didn't, because she has questions and I don't want to talk about it, I just want to focus on me and doing what I need to do  for me, not answering everyone else's questions and concerns.

I don't think its anyone's business.  I told my kids its not a secret, they can talk about it if they want to, but that I don't want to.

Do what you want to make it work for you.  I think for me its better not to tell people at work.

Tara

Vsg April 25th 2016 with Benjamin Shadle.

Starting weight 351, surgery weight 331

M1 -22.2 M2 - 14.2 M3 -8.9 M4 - 12.1 M5 - 4.7

8/22/2016 Lost 60.1 since surgery.  Lost 78.2 overall.

Goals:  1)Get under 300 - done!  Yeah!  2) Get under 280 (Yeah met this on 8/10/16) 3)Get under 268 (stay tuned!)

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 5/26/16 10:09 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

You should be able to be a private as you like.  You can tell people later, when you are more comfortable, or NOT.  You can say, I worked it off, because losing with WLS is still work.

As someone ese posted, let your doctor know of your concern as he writes the note. 

Sharon

mylastchance
on 5/26/16 10:14 am

I am the same way.  I didn't tell anyone about my surgery except my husband and adult sons.  That was 6 years ago and to this day I have told no one.  I was lucky in that I work for the school district and have summers off and so I was able to fly under the radar.  I just didn't want to hear the old deal about "you took the easy way out, like this was the easy way out....the hell it was.....or oh WLS....so that's how you did it."  Just easier to tell them I am watching what I eat, which is true,  I gave up all the fun foods, which is true and learning portion control.  From there they can think what they want.  Just my way.  Don't know if this is a help but it was no ones business but my own.

"I COULD HAVE MISSED THE PAIN BUT I'D OF HAD TO MISS THE DANCE"
             I have missed too many dances in my life now it is time to start living
5' 1"

blinder
on 5/26/16 4:43 pm

My first wls was completely private. Only close friends and family knew about it. I will keep my second just as private. I'm not sure what job field you are in, but I'm government and it's private. Due to the fact I must carry a medical clearance my manager will be informed I cannot work, but will not be told the reason nor can he ask. I took a week off of work the first time and I will probably take a week or two this time. No one questioned the first time since it was only a week, but if you take four weeks off I'm sure it will raise an eyebrow. At times I regretted not telling people about it and feel like it would have been easier, but with that said I will be private about it again. I totally understand keeping it personal. Good luck!!

(deactivated member)
on 5/27/16 4:56 am
Revision on 07/05/16

Lovely Caprice,

Congrats on your surgery decision and date! 

I was 18 years old when I had open roux en y GBS, and decided back then not to tell anyone. The only people I told were my parents (of course I lived with them and was covered under my Dad's health insurance), my brother and my Grandma. I then went out of state for college and only within the past few years discussed it with old friends I had made. I felt scared of people's judgement towards my decision to undergo surgery. Also, I had found so much support on this website that it felt like no one else really needed to know.

I would simply ask the doctor to omit any direct language pertaining to the surgery. I don't see why it would have to be too specific when it's in regards to your personal health info.

Best of luck,

Megan :)