Name ONE GOOD thing & ONE BAD thing about WLS

Laura in Texas
on 5/23/16 6:18 pm

One good: I love getting my picture taken with my kids now. I have very few pictures of us together before I lost weight. That makes me sad, so I guess I am making up for it now.

One bad: Even at almost 8 year out, I sometimes get mad because I cannot pig out like I did pre-RNY 

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Lauren010110
on 5/24/16 9:18 am - Victorville, CA

I totally relate to now taking as many pictures with loved ones!! I kick myself for only having a few "before" pictures...I was always the one behind the camera taking pictures of everyone else! 

I have my moments too with feeling like I don't "fit in"... guess I can pig out on water now...lol

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 5/23/16 7:03 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Having wls gave me opportunities that I never thought I'd get. Stuff like actually finding an exercise that I liked & actually want to do on a regular basis.(bike riding)

Fitting in an airplane seat & not having to buy an extra ticket to accomodate my spillage into the other seat.

Fitting in the middle seat on the train & not feel like I'm crowding the other persons.

Crossing my legs.

Oops was it supposed to be just 1? 

Ok 1 bad My head won't catch up to my body. I feel sometimes that I'm living a lie, that part of me keeps saying this isn't the real you. I shove a burger in its mouth everytime it keeps saying bs.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Lauren010110
on 5/24/16 9:20 am - Victorville, CA

I will let you slide with listing more than one!! It's hard to choose just one... thats why I put it like that! lol It is sometimes so easy to think of the negative first....which is what I did! My head STILL isn't there and I have been a WLS patient since 2008!

Roma
on 5/23/16 7:45 pm
RNY on 06/15/15

One good: in less than a year, all my co-morbidities are dissapeared. It's a miracle. No more severe sleep apnea, bye bye PCOS symptoms, see you later severe back pain, adios high blood pressure. I couldn't be happier. 

One bad (barely even a bad): like Laura said, the ability to eat a bunch at once is gone. Sometimes it is literally couple of bites to major fullness/overstuffed feeling. 

Referral: 8/14; Orientation TWH: 12/14; Nurse: 01/15; SW, Dietician, Psych: 2/15; Surgeon: 5/15; RNY: June 15/2015

Lauren010110
on 5/24/16 9:24 am - Victorville, CA

What PCOS symptoms were you experiencing, If I may ask? I too was diagnosed as an early teen and have been told so many things...lol 

Roma
on 5/29/16 10:14 am
RNY on 06/15/15

Hi Lauren,

I had amenoreah for many years, very sporadic periods. I'm now on a 31 day cycle like clockwork. I also had the body soreness/inflammation from PCOS which has mellowed as well.

The body hair has lessened by about 15%, but I hear we are stuck with that for life in most cases :P Laser treatments are my friend!

I attribute a lot of this to the RNY as well as my choice to stay off sugar/high glycemic foods, which I know will spike my insulin and impact me worse than someone without PCOS. 

How do you manage your PCOS?

Referral: 8/14; Orientation TWH: 12/14; Nurse: 01/15; SW, Dietician, Psych: 2/15; Surgeon: 5/15; RNY: June 15/2015

Neesie57
on 5/23/16 11:14 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

One Good:  Only one?  I can think of so many.  

Ok, my biggest one is being off of all meds for high blood pressure, high cholesterol and pre-diabetes.

Second best is hiking with my husband!  We have such a wonderful time walking in the hills and around our town.  

One Bad: only one I can think of is loose skin.  My boobs look like tennis balls hanging in the end of tubes socks and my belly is pretty awful to look at.  I will be having plastic surgery next year, right around my 60th birthday.  

Oh, one more bad: that I didn't have this surgery years ago.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

Lauren010110
on 5/24/16 9:22 am - Victorville, CA

I too was on Blood Pressure regulation meds prior to my surgery. It is wonderful not to have to be dependent on those anymore! I too have excess loose skin. I love your analogy... tennis balls  hahaha. Once I have children naturally, I hope to have the nip/tuck/boost that I have been wanting for so long! 

mute
on 5/24/16 5:40 am
RNY on 03/23/15

Only ONE good? All the things I do now that I think wow I don't think I could do this before. Flying comfortable in a plane. Going to a busy conference and being on my feet all day. Going to NYC and walking around constantly.

One Bad: While I hated my arms before, I hate them even more now. Not only are they fat, they're now fat and really, really flabby.

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds