Has anyone backed out of surgery?

(deactivated member)
on 5/19/16 9:03 am

I'm scheduled for VSG next week and thinking about not going through with it. I'm still on pre-op diet but my head and heart are saying otherwise. Just looking for opinions. Thank you!!

Deanna798
on 5/19/16 9:11 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I don't know you, and I don't know your situation.  I don't know why you need WLS, or how much you have to lose, but I can tell you one thing.  I was terrified before my surgery, I'm not good with change at all.  But that was the problem, I had been doing the same things for decades and my weight kept climbing.  I pushed through and had my surgery last August.

My life will never be the same again.  And that is a GOOD thing, because my quality of life had gotten so bad that I couldn't play with my kids anymore.  

I can't give you the personal reasons that you need to have surgery, because only you can really decide for yourself, but I will say that if you are having doubts you really, really need to discuss them with your surgeon.  I see that you live in Canada and I know that getting approval there takes a really long time.  I would not jump ship unless I was absolutely sure that is what I wanted.

I hope you figure it out and decide what is best for you either way.

Good luck!

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

handtlkr
on 5/19/16 9:17 am - Gulfport, MS
VSG on 12/17/15

I did twice before.  Once I was on my way to the hospital for check in for the surgery, but just couldn't bring myself to do it.  Although, both of those times, I was scheduled for lap band.  I finally went through with VSG a few years later. I'm very glad I made that decision, though it too, was difficult to go through with.  Part of my reluctance was fear...of the unknown, of, if it would work for me, etc.  I've had no regrets now, but I might not have felt the same way if I had gone through with the other times. I had to think beyond the surgery and beyond the short-term afterwards, as to how was my life going to change if I DID go through with it, and how Could it change if I DIDN'T go through with it.  I saw a particular picture which helped me make the final decision and I am so glad I went through with the surgery. Follow your heart, but figure out if it's your heart or your head trying to sway your decision. 

I've been robbed! My grandbaby stole my heart!  She just raised her hands and I surrendered.

Kathy S.
on 5/19/16 9:44 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

No one can tell you what to do, search your heart and make sure you are ready!  If you are not you will not be successful.  Sorry but it's true 

I had my knuckles wrapped around the door jam when they started to wheel me out.  I had researched this, took 18 months to decide to do the surgery and then another 6 month going through the program.  They had the surgeon come in and ask "do you want to cancel" I was in tears, fear like I never had before, but I KNEW if I didn't go through with it I would be dead sooner than later and my quality of life sucked!

That was almost 12  years ago and I am so glad I went through it.  I believe with all my heart I would not be here to day if I had not had the surgery.

Good Luck to you!

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 5/19/16 9:58 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

You should be thinking long and hard about whether this surgery is right for you.  Here is my approach.  You still have a few days to get comfortable with your decision, one way or the other.  I was nervous, and even updated my will, etc, before surgery.  It helps to be clear on why you are getting surgery. 

PART 1 - WHY SHOULD SOMEONE HAVE WLS

It's major surgery and carries risks - I do not see your weight or BMI posted, so like everything with risks - you have to identify the pros and cons for you and make the right decision for you.

About the stats for success - the 75% gain back a good part is not the whole story.  Roughly, 25% of people gain it all back, even with weight loss surgery(WLS).  That compares with 95-97% of people gaining it all back without surgery.

About 50% of people keep off at least 50 pounds.  If you lost 100 and gained 49 back - for a net loss of 51 pounds - you may not feel great, but a 50+ pound permanent weight loss may still be a significant health improvement for your body. 

Then it seems like 20-25% of people make the permanent changes needed and with the edge that surgery gives them, can live on a ~1000 cal/day diet for the rest of their lives. 

So, you ask youself - how significant is my weight problem? - I don;t know for you, you could be at 175 and just unhappy or you could be at 400 pounds with many health issues.

So, you ask yourself - how hard are you willing to work at this?  You have one best chance with WLS, so if you are not ready to make permanent changes, I might suggest waiting until you are.  Even after surgery, expect to measure your portions, track your calories, avoid snacking and too much drinking, give up smoking, and working through the emotional issues that cause you to make unwise choices. 

Then, ask yourself what you will gain - for me I avoided knee surgery because I've lost 145 pounds and distanced myself from diabetes because my A1C is back down. 

About GERD - I discovered I had a hiatal hernia which was repaired during my RNY surgery - IT HAS BEEN HEAVEN without the constant heartburn. Again, that is a risk that might tip in the other direction for you.

This is an important decision and I commend your wanting to make it an informed one for you.

Best wishes on your journey,

PART 2 - WHY I HAD WLS SURGERY

Be as nervous as you like, that's normal, but also use this time to get clear on why you are doing it.  Most likely your reasons are more than your appearance. I would suggest making a list and then you can check them off over the next months and have motivation to keep the weight off.  For what it's worth, here is the logic I had for surgery: 

1 - My knee is messed-up and if I do not get the weight off, I will be looking at knee surgery.

2 - I just lost 100+ pounds with a conventional diet and put 90% of it back on within 2 years, so I am not one of the lucky 3-5% who will keep the weight off.

3 - WLS is easier to recover from than knee surgery.

4 - WLS was (and is) the right option for me. 

5- Things that will be better:  enjoying the outdoors, clothes, . . .

I was more than nervous - before surgery I updated my will, changed my insurance benficiaries, had everything notarized, made sure a lawyer-friend had a folder with all my important papers, (I had the advanced directives form to fill out but I did not get around to it).  That is just me - be prepared.  But, now all that stuff is done. 

But, when it was all said and done, and I was in pre-op and felt the first wave of sedative kick in, I looked at the clock and my reaction was - 7:42, my new lucky number!  I had difficult times - most of us had, but pre-op clarity will help you get through a lot of post-op crap.

May I humbly suggest you generate a list and write down your motivations for surgery.  It might help you prevent 'buyers remorse' and give you focus to get through any difficult times. And give you something to do while you are waiting for the insurance approval. 

Me personally, I ask WHAT THE F&^% was I waiting for?  I am at 18 months post-op, so this is still the honeymoon phase, but I worked to get down to a normal BMI, 13% body fat, and a size 6 from a 22/24.  I weight lift with a trainer and get in 10,000 steps most days - that is very different from my pre-WLS behaviors.  The WLS gave me enough help, that I could do the rest of the work, but WLS does not do it all.  I could not still be a cream-pie guzzling couch potato and keep the weight off.  

Best of Luck.

Sharon

mschwab
on 5/19/16 11:12 am
RNY on 11/21/14

You've gotten some really good advice here, and all of it was spot on.  This is a decision you need to make for yourself, and it can only be based on the specifics of your situation.  I will say that if you are not ready to fully commit to this new life, then you are better off waiting until you are ready.  This is not easy, but the rewards far outweigh any challenges.

While I don't know you or your cir****tances, I can tell you why I decided to have an RNY:

I was 55 years old at the time of my surgery.  When I made my decision to move forward, I took a good, hard look at my life and what I wanted my remaining years to look like.  I wanted to be healthy, live as long as possible, be able to be active, travel and fully enjoy whatever years I have in front of me.  Then I looked at myself and asked if those goals were possible at my current weight.  The answer was no.  I knew I had to do something, and that something had to be different than what I had been doing in the past.  I researched weight loss surgery, and it became clear to me that I had little chance of reaching and maintaining a normal BMI with diet and exercise alone.  In other words, I had been engaging in magical thinking by believing that some how I was going to suddenly find the key to losing and keeping off a large amount of weight.  

So, I opted for surgery and haven't looked back since.  Some people say it was an extreme solution, but I say remaining MO would have been extreme.  I view my MO as a chronic illness.  I will never be cured.  I am not in remission.  My disease is active, and I have to manage it every single day.  But now I have the tools to be successful with that management.

I am forever grateful for my RNY.  It has been the best thing I have ever done for myself.  It was the right choice for me.  I was ready.  Only you know if you are.  Good luck.

Height: 5'7".  HW: 299, Program starting weight: 290, SW: 238, CW 138 - 12 pounds under goal!  

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 5/25/16 2:16 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Ditto.

Sharon

crazy4birds
on 5/19/16 11:49 am
RNY on 12/02/14

I did.  I was scheduled for a Monday and backed out on the Friday right before.   I did the 2 full weeks of liquid diet.  I had several reasons for the cancellation.  One being that when people found out I was getting the surgery I was told that I wasn't that fat.  Even the cardiologist said I was "pleasantly plump" and I would regret having the surgery. My parents, daughter and sister were all against me having the surgery.  I told my husband that he was the only reason I was doing it, that he pushed me into it.  Another reason was the fear of hospitals.  I am not afraid of surgery or pain I am basically agoraphobic and don't like being contained in a small room.  There was also the probability that I would never enjoy good food again.  About 6 months later I realized that it was something I needed to do for myself.  I called the surgeon's office and was able to reschedule without doing all the pre tests again.  2 more weeks of the liquid diet and I was good to go.  Didn't back out the second time.  Yes I did have a freak out in the hospital but once I was home recovery went well.  I have very little issues with any food now.  High bp, high cholesterol and being pre-diabetic are all resolved.  

Only you can make the decision whether this is right for you or not.  No one can guarantee that everything will go smoothly.  No one can guarantee that once you've had it you'll stick to it and keep the weight off but there are a great many successes that far outweigh (excuse the pun) the failures.

HW: 240   SW:  224   Goal:  130 

aceofspades
on 5/19/16 1:10 pm

As someone who just had an RNY surgery, I would say that if your instinct says you should do this; if you are tired of living as an obese person, just go ahead and have the surgery.  It's not that bad. We're all different, but it isn't too scary.  

huskergalWsD
on 5/22/16 1:24 pm

If the thought even crosses your mind, your not ready to go through with it. be safe than sorry...I wish I'd backed out of it.. I have always regretted going through with it. I've always been told I am a success but I still regret having weight loss surgery. this surgery reminds me of when I terminated a pregnancy years ago, you get rid of one problem only to add on other problems, and trust me it does bring on other problems.9 out of 10 people have post op problems. Good luck with your decision. Hugs

7stents (2003)...Heart Attack(2004)...Open Heart (2004)....Wls (2007)...Heart attack 2012...1 stent (2012)...Heart Attack (2013)...Heart Attack (2013)...1 stent(2013)
~~~Best Vitamin For Making Friends  B1~~~