What a day!

(deactivated member)
on 5/14/16 8:53 pm

When I was 6 years oid, my Grandpa Elfigo took me fishing at Tingley beach, in Albuquerque N.M.

We bought a taco from a Navajo family, who were making them out of a back of an old station wagon. When we were done with lunch, we went and caught some crawdads from the side of the ditch by my house. After that, we rode his horse around the yard. 

Then, he went and bought a six pack of Hamm's beer. I had my first TWO sips of beer that day. He finished his beer, picked me up and threw me to the sky. Kissed my face and left. He passed in his sleep the next night, so it was our last visit. He, and my Father are my heroes. 

Every time I've had a hard time on my journey thus far, I always think back to my Grandpa, what would he think of me if I quit? Wouldn't he be proud of me so far? It is a great motivator for me.

I hope if someone is reading this and they're struggling to decide what to do next. Or you're afraid to pull the trigger on this surgery. It's okay to be worried about the unknown. But, my Grandpa was a big man (360lbs), and he passed in 1972 at 48 years old. I am 49. We have gotten me down to 198 in 9 months. I am not scared anymore. Thank you Grandpa.

I have decided that I will face each day, with the complete understanding that it is my choice to succeed at this. Or my choice to fail.

karenp8
on 5/15/16 5:48 am - Brighton, IL

Beautifully written,Gary! Your grandpa would be so proud of you! Most of all thanks for sharing your special day with us!

(deactivated member)
on 5/15/16 2:38 pm

Thank you Karen.

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 5/15/16 9:37 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Well that was a subtle way to say you busted through the 200 barrier.   Good for you , Sorry your Grandpa (and many others) were taken by obesity and obesity-related health problems before their time.

I am walking in the Walk from Obesity Walk next week, you can sponsor me for a small sum and write a message in your Grandpa's memory (or any other message).   LINK TO SPONSOR ME: http://fundraise.asmbsfoundation.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=do nordrive.participant&participantID=17476&confirm=WW91ciBmdW5 kcmFpc2luZyBwYWdlIGhhcyBiZWVuIHVwZGF0ZWQgZm9yIFBsYWluc2Jvcm8 sIE5KIC0gMjAxNiBXYWxrIGZyb20gT2Jlc2l0eS4%3D    

Sharon

Dee R.
on 5/16/16 6:50 am - CA

Gary, I love reading your posts!  They always make me smile!  Congrats on doing SO well!!!!

(deactivated member)
on 5/16/16 7:14 am

Then I have done exactly what I was hoping to. Thank you for saying nice things to me.