Up next week, heart and lung clearances, and EGD

April Parker
on 5/14/16 6:39 pm - Gaffney, SC
RNY on 06/20/16

So Monday and Tuesday are my heart and lung clearances, then Thursday I have my EGD.

What do they do on a heart clearance? Lung clearance? I'm expecting to be on some kind of heart monitor or something for the heart one and for the lung one, what, listen to my lungs and have me breathe hard into one of those plastic contraptions?

I know  as far as the EGD they will be sending a lighted scope down my throat and taking a small biopsy to check for H.Pylori. 

What's everyone's experience with these tests?

lykapal
on 5/14/16 6:44 pm
RNY on 05/16/16

I had an EGD this last Thursday, it was a delightful nap. Cheers for Propofol!

49/F 4' 11" Highest Wt. 183.8--Surgery Wt. 173.0--Current Wt. 115.2--Goal Wt. 115.0

Darcy G.
on 5/14/16 11:41 pm
VSG on 04/07/16

For me--someone with heart disease--I expected a stress test and the gamut of testing to decide if I was fit for surgery. But my Dr said that because my heart issue isn't contraindicated for General Anesthesia, she could ask me certain questions, then depending on the answers, I might need a stress test.

I can't remember the questions exacting, but there was one like.. If you go to a big department store(or like... Walmart) can you go through the whole store without troubled, without needing to rest, etc. I think there was one about dizziness or symptoms upon exertion... There were 4-5 questions, and I answered all well enough noit to need testing.

When I went for pulmonary clearance, he listened to my lungs, asked some questions about my blood clotting stuff--which I'm treated for-- and about my sleep apnea and if I used my CPAP... Asthma, any lung-related illnesses... Then pronounced me good go as well(he ordered an IVC filter oor me, due to the history of clotting). But in the past for surgery lclearance, I had to have a chest Xray. 

Neither visit was arduous in any way, even with my myriad issues :) It'll be OK!

Program Start Weight 346 | Surgery Weight 282 | CW 217 | 5'-6.3"

High Weight 376, about a year before program. I gave up diet pop(and all pop), dropped 30 pounds without trying, and kept it off. Now convinced Carbonated Beverages. Are. Evil.

DISCLAIMER: My posts often have weird typos... Because I use a tablet or Kindle to access the forums despite how much I suck at tablet typing. Apologies!

peachpie
on 5/15/16 3:46 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

My lung clearance was a bunch of questions about my breathing/sleeping. Did I snore, get winded doing small tasks etc. my answers led him to order a pulmonary function test (breathing into a device that measured efficiency). He didn't feel I needed a sleep study. 

I never had an egd,just an upper gi.