Help, i'm blowing up!

adklabor
on 5/14/16 1:55 pm

Had Sleeve wednesday the 11th. was released from hospital today, a day late, because my hemoglobin was low, and i fainted thursday morning.  MY belly is FULL and tight. i've had a constant case of the 'trots'. i couldn't even fit into the pants that i wore to the hospital. is this normal?    

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 5/14/16 2:38 pm, edited 5/14/16 7:39 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

I had RNY, but first week is full of unusual stuff as body adjusts to fluid pushed into you during anesthesia and new food and the gas that was injected into your abdominal cavity so that the surgeons could move around your innerds.  Some people gain 10 pounds during surgery from the fluid  That all goes away in a week or so. 

If you have unexpected pain - that is a problem.  If trots persists for more than a short adjustment period, I would call office.

Sharon

adklabor
on 5/14/16 2:41 pm

thanks, sharon.  I actually did gain about 10 pounds, no kidding.  My stomach just feels really full. it's difficult to get liquid in  I've had some gas along with the trots, but now that i read your post, maybe that's all normal.  it's a huge adjustment for a system.  the whole outside of y belly is black and blue. 

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 5/14/16 2:51 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

For the first 3 months, I only weighed at the doctor's office, I did not have a scale at home because i knew there would be a lot of variablity and I am a numbers person and it would worry me and drive me crazy.  I was always elated when I did weigh although I think that first week, I 'only' lost 3 pounds.  

You know that 10 pounds is water - either you were dehydrated for your pre-surgery weight or that 10 pounds will work its way out of your system along with the anesthesia. 

It was MAJOR surgery, give yourself some time, but if you pain and feel something is wrong - that is different.

Sharon

adklabor
on 5/14/16 3:00 pm

no actual pain.  just feel like i cant hold anything more.  belly is full.   sounds like it might be normal.  it's pretty serious looking stuff on the outside, that's for sure.  

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 5/14/16 3:09 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

You ay want ot post on Sleeve Forum - but what you say was normal for me - sip , sip , sip.  Do not do anything to stretch your pouch. Good Luck.   

I know what you  mean, although I am 18 months post-WLS, I just had plastic and at 2 1/2 weeks, I am now where I thought I would be at 3 days.  I was unrealistic given the amount of work I had done.  I have another 2 weeks until I can be see without people thinking I am miserable - I look worse than I feel.   It's residual swelling - but my incisions are almost invisible already, I am astounded. I just have to wait until the new layers of skin and muscle knit together and my face and neck drainage system really gets working again and the swelling goes down.

Sharon

(deactivated member)
on 5/15/16 3:52 am

wow well i had plastics too ( armlift thighlift tunmy tuck lbl butt implant and lipo  a week ago. came out of surgery " exactly as fat " as i went in : was pissed considering i had and didnt choose the last minute option of a brazilisn buttlift which would have involved more lipo. still mad at myself for making a stoopid choice. 

my point is im starting to get a little less swollen :0 :) finally maybe starting to smile . 

adklabor
on 5/15/16 5:58 am

it's good to read that other people are having similar problems as myself. I wish they had been more 'realistic' about what to expect after surgery. Jeez.  I mean, i asked the Dr. when I would be able to walk my dog again, and he said "as soon as your foot hits the back door".  LOL.   NOT!  no way i'd be able to walk around the block at this point and i'm 4 days out.  Still cant see my feet, which is the way it was before i had the surgery.  But since evidently there are a whole lot of people with similar problems, I"m good with it for now.  No pain, just swelling. and SIP is definitely the word. 

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 5/15/16 9:33 am, edited 5/15/16 7:29 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

You had Plastcs before your Sleeve surgery?  Or was that a joke?

I haven't recovered from the plastics yet to joke about it.  Will be there soon.

Sharon

Valerie G.
on 5/15/16 6:19 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

It doesn't help to bring it up to the doc.  They didn't do anything to your intestines, but you could have an upset with the bacteria that can be corrected.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes