Body testing

Seht
on 5/12/16 10:50 am

It has been 8 years since my surgery, and I am still struggling with my eating and weight loss.  It really makes me want to know a few things.

Has anyone had body composition testing done either via a bod pod or a dunk tank.  How was the experience and are they accurate if you still have a lot of extra skin.  I believe they work on displacement so if you still have all that skin you are going to displace more air or water.

Resting metabolic rate.  I believe my metabolism has slowed way down.  Unfortunately my cravings for all the nutrient poor foods has not diminished over time.  I really would like to know what my body needs for calories.  I feel like I am still starving myself 8 years out.  But if I start creeping up on the calories I gain weight even when the calories are below what someone my size should need to maintain.

I think knowing those two things will at least help me come to peace with the constant calorie counting and obsession with food.  This has been the worst part of the WLS experience.  I am constantly fixated on what I ate, what I can eat, no I can't have that blah blah blah.  It just gets old and wears me down some times.

Thanks,

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

(deactivated member)
on 5/12/16 12:08 pm

I only do the DexaScans once a year, usually each June and it tells me the composition of all my parts so I can differentiate between muscle mass, fat, bone, etc.  From that, I see my nutritionist to see where I'm at and what I need to or can be doing and we make a plan.  I have never had any of those other tests done but I definitely feel you on the fixation stuff.  I STILL go to counseling for all that and I am also several years out.  There are times when it's better and times when it's so hard that I can barely deal with myself. 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/12/16 12:55 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

There was a really interesting story in the news recently about people who'd regained weight after being on "The Biggest Loser." (Link to the NYT story here.) They looked at one season's contestants and discovered their metabolisms are WAY slower than people who are "naturally" that size.

So you're not at all alone on the metabolism issue.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Kathyjs
on 5/12/16 1:05 pm

I know nothing about the testing but I sure can relate to the 'sick of it' I am almost 14 years post op and I still have to think about everything that goes in my mouth. I actually wish we didn't have to eat. Like smoking, you don't need to. Drinking, you don't have to but we have to eat. Then there is the make sure I chew enough. Don't eat too fast, don't have that extra bite . I have no regrets but it does get old having to think about it .... Just rambling 

White Dove
on 5/12/16 8:57 pm - Warren, OH

I have not had the testing but found a great source of information at a site If It Fits Your Macros iifym.com.

It gives me a good set of goals for fat, fiber, calories, protein and carbs.

I also have an Index scale from Garmin that calculates weight, BMI, water weight, fat weight and bone weight.  I can see daily if I have a loss or gain and what has changed.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Grim_Traveller
on 5/13/16 3:16 am
RNY on 08/21/12

The most accurate body composition testing will be from a Dexa scan. 

As far as metabolic testing, I've met several who got numbers that were radically different from what they needed to maintain their weight. Have it done if it gives you piece of mind, but if you already know how many calories you need for maintenance, and what makes you gain, that's really all that's relevant. Getting a higher number from metabolic testing is apt to just frustrate you.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.