Thursday *****fest

MaryEllen OntheEastCoast
on 5/12/16 3:27 pm - CT

Thank you thank you thank you for bringing *****fest back!  I used to love the Wednesday *****fest that Bette B started. 

jenorama
on 5/12/16 5:36 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Aw yeah.  Okay.  So, my mother in law is 83 years old.  When I met her she was one of those ladies in her 60s that you would have thought was 15 years younger.  In the 10 years since my father in law passed away, her health has slowly declined, but she is in complete denial about it.  This woman has zero sense of self-preservation.  She has balance issues and dizziness that she's been to see the doctor for several times, but so far they haven't been able to do a whole heck of a lot.

My husband's niece, who his mother raised, lives with her along with her two kids--a 13 year old girl and 10 year old low functioning autistic boy.  My husband's niece does a great job, but she can't be everywhere at once and over the years his mother has fallen a few times and taken some injuries.  She has a walker, but pretty much refuses to use it because walkers are for old people.

So, to recap--old, unsteady, fragile lady.  Enter into this my husband's cousin who thinks it would be a GREAT IDEA to take her auntie to Hawaii.  Of course there is no walker to be found.  She just flat out refused to take it.  So of course she falls in Hawaii and breaks her hip.  On her birthday.

Now we have a situation where my husband's mom is laid up in a Hawaiian hospital recovering from surgery.  The cousin is in and out, my sister in law is freaking out because she freaks out about everything, nobody can get any straight information and she is in such horrible shape that it may be up to two weeks before she's ready to get on a plane home.  And then, the cousin texted my husband about how unexpected expenses, extend trip blah blah ******g goddamn blah $$$.  UGH.

I am so incredibly angry at all of this.  I flat out told my husband that I didn't feel comfortable with her visiting us at our house for a while (as she's done before) because she would trip over the cats or the dog and that would be it.  What is going on this daffy ****'s mind that she thought it would be a fantastic idea to take this woman to a goddamn island and not insist that she use some sort of assistive device?  Why didn't she rent a wheel chair?  I know mother in law is a grown adult person and can make her own decisions, but GODDAMN.

The latest update we got today was that she was having some chest pain and was apparently screaming in pain overnight, crying for one of her kids to come and take her.  My husband had been on the fence about going out there, concerned that it would be construed as a "Fuck you" to his cousin, but I'm so past that now.  I told him today that I don't care if his cousin takes it badly, but he needs to get on a plane out there tomorrow.  I haven't talked to him since, but I hope he's made arrangements.

Oh, by the way, NEITHER OF US HAVE EVER BEEN TO HAWAII.  How's that for a first trip?

Rant over.  Thanks, Julie!

Jen

Darcy G.
on 5/12/16 10:24 pm
VSG on 04/07/16

Good Grief! You win, Jen!

My 87 y/o grandma is the same way... And it's awful. Some days I watch her shuffling around iith the same look on my face as when I watch those high wire goobers doing stuff like going between high rises... And if she gets sick? She's not seeking emedical attention until she's on her death bed.

All I can say is: Must be nice to have such a history of outstanding health that she takes it for granted now!

Program Start Weight 346 | Surgery Weight 282 | CW 217 | 5'-6.3"

High Weight 376, about a year before program. I gave up diet pop(and all pop), dropped 30 pounds without trying, and kept it off. Now convinced Carbonated Beverages. Are. Evil.

DISCLAIMER: My posts often have weird typos... Because I use a tablet or Kindle to access the forums despite how much I suck at tablet typing. Apologies!

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 5/15/16 2:46 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

You win because you have the relatives most lacking in common sense and some old lady will pay the price.

You win - this will take months to clear up.  A long plane ride with a newly broken hip??? 

I am very sorry for this mess that was totally avoidable.  Idiots abound.

Sharon

White Dove
on 5/12/16 9:06 pm - Warren, OH

I was helping a friend set up his new computer today.  He has Embarq mail through CenturyLink and always used CenturyLink as his home page.

There is no freaking way to change the home page in Edge from msn.com.  I go though the steps but it defaults back.

Nothing I tried worked.  I finally set a shortcut on his screen to take him to centurylink, but it is so irritating that I can't just change the homepage in Windows 10.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 5/15/16 2:49 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

That msn.com is a default and I tried to change it to Yahoo - I contacted Yahoo and Yahoo does not make the product needed, so I would be stuck using the msn.com feature - what a fuckup. So, I do not use it, just work around it, or don;t send them an email.

Sharon

White Dove
on 5/15/16 3:29 pm - Warren, OH

I did manage to get rid of MSN and Bing.  Remember when you used to get a message: 

"The changes you made will take effect after you restart the computer.  Do you want to restart now?"

That message no longer comes up and I had to restart the system after each change.  Once I did that my changes stayed.  Microsoft needs to fix the bugs before they send out updates.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Amy R.
on 5/13/16 12:52 am

This empty nest syndrome.  It is kicking my ass.

The child wants to work in linguistics and she is majoring in Spanish studies or some such with a minor (or possible double major) in some French thing.  It wasn't enough that she headed off to Peru last summer to teach English to agricultural workers in Lurin. No.  No, no, no, no, no.

She is headed to Quito, Ecuador for five weeks in June.

There's no way she'll ever know it (I'd never dampen her precious dreams)  - but these trips are killing me.  Is it to much to ask that she stay in the country until she's at least 40?

roxytrim
on 5/13/16 8:57 am - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

Nothin' to ***** about...just thrilled to learn some new creative potty phrases like "Daffy ****" !  worth the price of admission.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/13/16 9:28 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I'm a fan of "wankstain," personally.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!