How long before action?

CocoH
on 5/11/16 7:10 pm

I met with my doctor today, and she agreed and sent in the referral for surgery. She said I would be an excellent candidate for surgery. I am in Kingston, Ontario. 

What happens now? How long after she fills out the referral will I hear from someone? I know the whole process can take a long time but I'm just wondering what happens now? Can people share their experiences with me? 

Thanks! :) 

Darcy G.
on 5/11/16 7:49 pm
VSG on 04/07/16

This might be a better place to get some insight:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/on/

Good Luck!

Program Start Weight 346 | Surgery Weight 282 | CW 217 | 5'-6.3"

High Weight 376, about a year before program. I gave up diet pop(and all pop), dropped 30 pounds without trying, and kept it off. Now convinced Carbonated Beverages. Are. Evil.

DISCLAIMER: My posts often have weird typos... Because I use a tablet or Kindle to access the forums despite how much I suck at tablet typing. Apologies!

Monarch79
on 5/11/16 8:02 pm - Canada

I'm from the same area and have my first appointment next week in Kingston. From referral to orientation it took about 5 months because they misplaced my file somehow. I suggest calling the clinic to ensure that your referral has been received. 

Good luck. 

Allison

NikkiIbby
on 5/12/16 4:33 am

I am in Toronto area and I was waiting from Dec 15 2015 referral date to April 6th orientation day. I go for my first social worker appt June 15..I was told about 1 year on April 6th! It is quite long but will be well worth it! :)

RNY0615
on 5/12/16 10:50 am

When I read the subject, I thought you had an entirely different question 

ChristyO
on 5/12/16 11:50 am
RNY on 02/01/16

For Me:  3 months Start to Finish. -  the place I went had a top notch well put together program, they made it easy for me. 

ChristyO

Height 5'4

S.W. 251

C.W. 129

G.W. 125

CocoH
on 5/12/16 2:08 pm

Thank you so much! How do i know if they have received my referral? I don't know which clinic I will be assigned to (assuming Kingston since that's where I live) but I'm wondering if there is someone I can call to find out. Or do I just call my family dr to follow up if I don't hear from anyone in the next few weeks? 

I'm terrified but also very excited I took this step. In the meantime my dr asked if I wanted to try Saxenda, but it is not covered under my benefits and is $400 a dose!! Has anyone else heard of it??