Frustrated.

Tizzles
on 5/6/16 1:43 am

So I haven't had my WLS yet, so you may not be interested in my opinion or advice. Even though I have failed on many diets, the one I felt the most full on for the longest amount of time was the Ketogenic diet. From all the research I've been doing and talking to my surgeon today the diet you're basically told to follow is pretty similar in the fact that it restricts carbohydrates and focuses on lean protein and good healthy fats. Carbs are digested and absorbed pretty quickly into the bloodstream - regardless the size of your stomach. This means you can eat more of them, more often. Even though your RNY should on paper lead to dumping if you eat super sweets or super bad things for you, maybe it just won't ever work like that for you, or maybe it won't be like that right now - maybe later.

I know you're discouraged and I can feel the frustration coming out of your words. You are not a failure though, you made a huge decision for yourself and you stuck with it. You got the surgery. That's huge. Now it's up to you. Almonds are a really good source of healthy fat, so that choice is good. You have veggies in your diet and beef. Good sources of protein. Just kick out the junk and extra carbs. I know that carbs are going to be my downfall too. I've already started mentally preparing myself for it and talking to my surgeon about it. It seems really easy for post-op WLS patients to eat carbs easy. They go down easy and you can eat a lot of them, but remember why you did the surgery in the first place. Remember your resolution to yourself to get healthy. You wouldn't go under the knife just to pick up the same old habits as before. No sane person would. I'm sure you went through with this because you were ready for a real change, because you were ready to drop the weight. As hard as it might be, try to remember why you wanted this in the first place and don't kick yourself and mark yourself as a lost cause just because you do something that isn't "perfect" in your mind. Give yourself more grace and just make better choices next time.

I've already started purging my house of the junk that I know will hinder my weight loss after surgery. I have to because until I have some control over myself I can't be one foot in and one out. I have to get all the unhealthy carbs out of the house or I will eat them. Just re-assess where you know you're weak and make a plan. With as bad as you want to do better, I'm sure you'll succeed!

birdiegirl
on 5/6/16 3:15 am

I know you haven't had your head in the game beginning with opti.  YOU have to decide you are worth it, or you're correct,  surgery will be a waste eventually. 

Call ottawa and get In to see the shrink.   You need to find out why and combat the reasons you are self-sabotaging yourself. 

In the meantime, ditch the simple carbs as they set you up for cravings. Your booklet should say protein first correct? Make sure it's dense and not yogurt, cheese etc.  Eat some chicken or meat and don't drink  with your meals.  Do NOT eat while feeding your baby. 

I wish you all the best.  But only YOU can make the changes necessary. 

Lovely_Caprice
on 5/6/16 4:54 am

You are a sad case that just wants attention.

Terri70
on 5/6/16 9:07 am

Not even called for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ladygodiva1228
on 5/6/16 5:23 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

I won't get into what and how much you are eating as others have stressed their concerns.

Now bare in mind I never promote anything, but a few others had mentioned a book called The Emotional First+Aid Kit A practical guide to life after bariatric surgery.  So I bought it and I really don't like to read.  If you can find it get it.  I have been reading it for last few days and and holy cow what an eye opener. 

Since Monday I have gotten my ass back to the lifestyle that is required for WLS and as of yesterday had lost 2lbs.  Now like I admitted in a couple of other posts in the last few months I had gained 6lbs due to grazing even though it was on proteins I was still eating to many calories.  My water intake is at 90 to 100oz a day and my protien is over 80grams a day.  It has made such a difference.  As a matter of fact I did even finish my two eggs that I have been eating every morning.  I'm just full.  The dense protein intake that I have been eating this week has finally caught up with me and making me feel full. 

You can do this, anyone can do this they just have to their mind to work with them.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 5/6/16 7:07 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

You're right, you do have to get your head in the game. You have to figure out why you're self sabotaging yourself. You should look into therapy/support groups behind your emotional eating. Acbrown just posted some info on the vsg board about an app called Recovery Road that lets you log your meals & your emotions with it. At least you'll be able to look back & maybe figure out your triggers & a way to deal with them besides using food to cope, at the least you'll be able to discuss it with a therapist.

At 6 weeks you really won't feel any restriction, you're still healing, which is why it's so important to NOT TEST THE WATERS!, not now, hold strong. Your foods is very carb dense, not protein dense, you have to put protein first & carbs should come from veggies not burritos, not bread, not granola, cut out the refined carbs, they'll leave you hungry & craving for more.

Your body will turn to the carbs you eat as energy & won't use your stored fat as energy, its easier for the body to burn carbs it doesn't want to work at burning your fat, this is a reason why so many people go low carb. Head stuff is a pita, but you can do it.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Heather P.
on 5/6/16 9:02 am

I am also 6 weeks out, and my program ALSO states to have 2 servings of carbs a day.  I however, have noticed that when I do add in carbs from bread, or tortillas that I end up not feeling full after my allowed 4oz serving, so I try not to have the 2 servings of carbs.  If I do it's a half a tortilla, or a tablespoon or two of potatoes.  When I do that, 2 or 3 oz really full me up.

Your nutritionist should be able to help you and a therapist.  It's good that you are addressing this now, rather than later.

Ht 5'7" HW 406, SW 361

RNY 3/28/16

The Salty Hag
on 5/7/16 7:01 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

You'll really be doing yourself a favor by continuing to avoid the starchy carbs. I think it's great that you've noticed the correlation between eating starchy carbs and not feeling full. 

We really and truly have no need for carbs like that. No one does.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Catek2652
on 5/6/16 11:17 am
RNY on 10/26/15

It is possible to do this. Remember, you are fighting an addiction to food: carbs in particular. I find I need the support of a real live support group, frequent visits with my surgeon's team (the NUT, physical trainer and the surgeon), and I need to see a counselor/psychologist regularly (like weekly for at least a while). In addition to the surgery itself, the whole package, the whole makeover is part of the deal. When I get behind in one area (like exercise), that physical trainer does a nice job of providing me with excuse proof ideas... when I STILL don't do it, then it's time for me to talk about it with the counselor because something is blocking me from moving forward.

Like overcoming any addiction, you have to want this more than anything else.

The nice thing (sometimes the only thing) is that you only have to do it for today. Tomorrow you can eat stuff with flour and sugar in it, but today; you are just fine with a piece of nicely seasoned meat or an egg with perhaps a tablespoon or so of green leafy veggies on the side. And then tomorrow becomes today and you only have to say no to the craving for today.

My hubby, who did not have a weight problem, was unwilling to give up his potatoes, his pasta and his bread and his beer... but he has stopped eating fried foods and doesn't have a cookie jar filled with sweets sitting around to tempt me anymore. He understands that I am not going to cook his carbs for him and if he wants potatoes, rice, pasta or bread, he has to purchase and cook it for himself.

You are not a failure. I'm not either. We are learning how to proceed on this journey. Sometimes, we get distracted and go off the path, but you can come back anytime.

Cate K

Northern Neck, VA 5'4" 56 years old

Highest weight 245: 7/1/2015, RNY surgery on October 26th. Had multiple complications and follow up surgeries and stayed in hospital for 24 days. Goal weight is 140.