Help with the liquid diet

SteveM84
on 5/5/16 1:18 pm
VSG on 05/11/16

Hello everyone! It is a pleasure to meet you all! My name is Steve and I am awaiting my date for the sleeve surgery on 5/11. I've been on the liquid diet since Saturday April 30th. I've been drinking the Carnation Breakfast three times a day, and having 15 grapes or a cup of melon for my snack, as well as having one cup of broth a day.It hasn't been easy because I almost always feel very tired, lethargic really.

Anyways, the whole point of this topic is because I wanted to ask for some advice from people who have gone through this process; if I were to have just one regular meal once, would it cause a problem for my surgery? This Saturday there is going to be a big event, and I've been invited. The meal will be provided there. I may not go (not just because of the food but due to other issues), but if I DO go, would there be a setback? 

Lovely_Caprice
on 5/5/16 2:55 pm

Why would you want to cheat even before your WLS?  That is not a good thing.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/5/16 3:14 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Ask your surgeon.

Many surgeons prescribe the liquid diet to shrink your liver before surgery. If it hasn't shrunk enough, they'll stitch you right back up without performing the procedure.

Liquid diet is also a "trial by fire" of sorts. If you can't be compliant 100% before surgery, it's not a great sign for your post-op success. There will be LOTS of situations after surgery where there's food you can't/shouldn't eat, and you'll need to be prepared.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

obioxiupa
on 5/5/16 3:42 pm

Ask your surgeon.  Some prescribe shakes plus one meal of veggies and chicken.  They may give you the go ahead with parameters - or say no.  Do what they want you to do.

i wanted tp mention there are protein drinks outhere with less carbs and more protein than the carnation.  Have you tried premiere protein?  It's available at SAMs club.  I personally find it easier to do shakes only when  the protein is higher - you might too! Worth a try 

best of luck to you!

Vsg April 25th 2016 with Benjamin Shadle.

Starting weight 351, surgery weight 331

M1 -22.2 M2 - 14.2 M3 -8.9 M4 - 12.1 M5 - 4.7

8/22/2016 Lost 60.1 since surgery.  Lost 78.2 overall.

Goals:  1)Get under 300 - done!  Yeah!  2) Get under 280 (Yeah met this on 8/10/16) 3)Get under 268 (stay tuned!)

(deactivated member)
on 5/5/16 5:18 pm

Hey Steve, do this for me if you would. Imagine the you that you've held in your head. You know, the guy that is fit and living healthy. Doing what he wants, instead of letting his weight dictate to him what and where he could go and do.

There is a way out of your current state of health. And it's NOT the surgery my friend. The surgery will be an incredible tool to build a new you. The way out is you Steve. Your "brain" is fighting with your "mind" over this question right now. One side is right, one side is wrong. NO ONE, not us, your doctors, your family, your anyone will be able to make this decision Steve. The choice is going to ultimately be yours. This time, and tomorrow and the day after so on and so on.

You will hopefully start making the choice to forgo the things that got you on a table to begin with. If I am doing it. You can do it. It's easy, ONCE you start telling your brain who's boss around here. The weight will fly off of you, and the chains will as well. Trust me Steve. It's that easy!

Good luck.

Maria27
on 5/5/16 5:25 pm - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

Don't do it. There will always be events with food, and you will have to get used to navigating them. Trust me, there will be many many times that you wish you could eat more, but you won't be able to because you have no more room. If you aren't prepared to deal with these challenges, then you are not ready for surgery.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132