Study on BL - diet and exercise don't work long term

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/2/16 6:21 am, edited 5/2/16 6:49 am

And it may even get worse... 

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/health/biggest-loser-weigh t-loss.html?_r=1

I wish they did studies like that on post op WLS... Long term post op WLS and metabolism. 

I know most of us know we do need to eat less than " normies" who are our size to maintain. I know I do... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Laura in Texas
on 5/2/16 12:48 pm

I thought this study was very interesting. I do wish they would do a similar study on post-WLS people. I know most of my post-op friends have to keep their calories pretty low (1100-1200) to maintain. I eat around 2000 calories a day to maintain, which according to THIS calculator, is average for a female my height, weight, age, who is moderately active.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/2/16 1:25 pm

interesting. At my age - and my body - I am anything between 1500-1700  cal.  

I have no clue how many calories I eat daily. . Really don't.  For me an my body the carbs or no carbs is critical..

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

SkinnyScientist
on 5/4/16 1:19 pm

I have to keep mine crazy low too.  The only time I ever get to eat more than 1000 calories (e.g. 1500-2000 calories) is when I have long runs (13+miles) and burn 1300-1800 by 10 am in the morning.  

It is insane how quickly it can pile back on.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 5/3/16 4:50 am, edited 5/2/16 9:49 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

HALA

I read Dr Prioetta's article back in Dec and have communicated with him and posted my take-away:  That without WLS I had no real chance of a healthier life.  Zip, Ziltch, Nada.  This article ended any thought that if I tried harder I could have done it without surgery.  It was a big AHAA moment.  The conv weight loss program at Brown wrote in to argue and brag about the results of their conv diet program - That 36-48% can loose 5=7% of their body weight and keep it off for 4 years.  What a load of manure - I would not even get to buy new underware. 

As I recall it was not just lepiin, but 6-8 hormones that he tracked and all went and pretty much stayed in the wrong direction.  He concluded that if a drug therapy is invented, it will prob be a ****tail of several drugs bc so many different hormones will need to be controlled.  I would think we are decades way from an effective drug Rx for obesity. 

I emailed Dr Prioetta awhile ago and asked if he was researching for a drug therapy that could be used in conjunction with WLS to increase effectiveness of WLS and this would be a lower success bar for the drug therapy to have to acheive. I volunteered to be a ginea pig.  He was not, at that time, interested in studying postWLS ( a mistake in my mind because between what surgery can deliver and what drug therapy can deliver there might be a much better solution much sooner).   If more people contact him he might become more interested in looking at post-WLSers as a study group.

Articlce 2012  NEJM   http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc1113675

http://www.findanexpert.unimelb.edu.au/display/person15764

Here is his web page - his email is given 

Sharon

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/3/16 5:41 am, edited 5/2/16 10:47 pm

Interesting. Thank you. I will check that. 

I knew my metabolism was shot way before I had RNY... All of my diets and exercises... Multiple fasting periods, cleansing, herbs...etc etc..etc.. 

I was able to control my weight to a point... Keeping it most of the time between 30-40 BMI, with a typical 35-39 BMI while constantly dieting... I could gain 10 lbs over a 2 week time when I relaxed my eating... 

And that's why I had RNY...  So far so good.  But I have to be very careful what I eat. 

RNY on 12/22/14

Im in same boat - even with rny I am carrful and from what I read so are the others who are long term successful (I an not so long term yet but I think I will alwa ys need to be very careful).  I would not mind knowing there is a back-up to fight regain,  but it;s contstant viligelence for now

Sharon

SkinnyScientist
on 5/4/16 1:21 pm

But I have to be very careful what I eat.

-Me too!

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Lisa F.
on 5/3/16 8:22 pm
VSG on 06/06/16

I'm a month out to my surgery date, and I sent this article to my family...I think it will help them get past the common misconceptions about WLS and understand why I've made this decision.

I posted a few facts in the comments section as well. 

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/4/16 4:56 am

BTW - I believe that RNY and a strict diet post op - following the guidlines - and long term work - reset my high weight point. 

but I also think that if I regain weight - it can reset my point to higher level as before. 

I think Thats why some of us lose weight in stair like intervals - body sets its lower weight and it takes commitment and hard work on diet to change that... 

I regained some weight and for the last year my body did not wanted to get below 160... It fluctuated around 162-165..,

But I was stuburn and finally ,this year I am at 158+/- 2 lbs... 3 more to go... It may take me a year to reset my low body weight to 155... I have time... Lol...