Gastro Gastric Fistula

(deactivated member)
on 4/30/16 6:55 pm
Revision on 07/05/16

Hi everyone. I had open roux en y gastric bypass in July 2002. I was able to go from 245 on surgery day, down to 115 lbs. (Much lower than goal). I would gain then lose some, and it wasn't until 2012 that I found out I had a fistula connecting old pouch to new stomach. That surgeon could not fix it, so I saw another one. Found out I now have two fistulas connecting my pouch to the old stomach. Sadly, had to cancel that revision as we closed on the house and moved.

The doctor that I saw here will do my revision after I quit smoking. 

Did a fistula happen to any of you? I know it's very rare, but I'm curious.

Megan

hollykim
on 5/1/16 10:01 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 1, 2016 at 1:55 AM Pacific Time, Meglynn83 wrote:

Hi everyone. I had open roux en y gastric bypass in July 2002. I was able to go from 245 on surgery day, down to 115 lbs. (Much lower than goal). I would gain then lose some, and it wasn't until 2012 that I found out I had a fistula connecting old pouch to new stomach. That surgeon could not fix it, so I saw another one. Found out I now have two fistulas connecting my pouch to the old stomach. Sadly, had to cancel that revision as we closed on the house and moved.

The doctor that I saw here will do my revision after I quit smoking. 

Did a fistula happen to any of you? I know it's very rare, but I'm curious.

Megan

were you aware that smoking might have caused the fistula?

smoking makes the tissues vet fragile and I imagine that is what caused the second fistula and fistula a will continue as long as you continue to smoke.

(deactivated member)
on 5/1/16 10:25 am
Revision on 07/05/16

Hi HollyKim,

Yes, I have been told that smoking is probably what caused the fistulas. I started smoking 9 months post op and obviously I sincerely regret it! And you're right, the fistulas will most likely just continue to develop as long as I keep smoking.

I have cut back, and my goal is to stop tonight and this coming Friday, go take my urine nicotine test at the hospital and continue to not smoke. As hard as it is, I am ready to quit and am def ready to have my revision surgery and move towards an overall healthy lifestyle.

I appreciate your response! Everyone knows that smoking is bad for you, but I dont think that a lot of people know how bad the complications can be for post op gbs patients. 

Megan M :-)

hollykim
on 5/1/16 10:35 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 1, 2016 at 5:25 PM Pacific Time, Meglynn83 wrote:

Hi HollyKim,

Yes, I have been told that smoking is probably what caused the fistulas. I started smoking 9 months post op and obviously I sincerely regret it! And you're right, the fistulas will most likely just continue to develop as long as I keep smoking.

I have cut back, and my goal is to stop tonight and this coming Friday, go take my urine nicotine test at the hospital and continue to not smoke. As hard as it is, I am ready to quit and am def ready to have my revision surgery and move towards an overall healthy lifestyle.

I appreciate your response! Everyone knows that smoking is bad for you, but I dont think that a lot of people know how bad the complications can be for post op gbs patients. 

Megan M :-)

I think I have read that it takes about 4 weeks for nicotine to be completely gone from your body.

(deactivated member)
on 5/1/16 11:51 am
Revision on 07/05/16

Yes I have read anywhere from 2-20 days. 20 days being the amount of time it takes for chain smokers, muliple packs per day smokers. I think someone who had something like one cigarette per day it would only take 2 days to clear their system. Being 5 per day, I thought 5 days might work but maybe I will wait until the friday after next, just to be on the safe side.

It won't necassarily count agains me if it comes back with some nictotine present. It would just mean I would still have 3 more tests to do, but why waste my time and theirs?

Gastric Bypass Surgery was the only thing that ever worked to help me lose weight. I tried almost every diet and excercise program out there. Having that surgery was the best thing I ever did for myself. Smoking has been the worst and most regretful thing I have done. I have to stay focused on my health and hopeful about the revision. It just isn't worth it to continue smoking yucky cigarettes and to not have my revision!

Megan M. :-)

KSmith10
on 5/4/16 10:23 am

I had my original RNY surgery at Mayo Hospital in August 2001. In January 2013 I started having internal bleeding issues and after many tests it was discovered that I had a gastro gastric fistula. December 2105 I had it repaired along with a bypass repair and a temporary hernia repair. I spent 8 days in Mayo Hospital and was off a total of 3 weeks from work. I've lost 75 pounds in 5 months and feel fantastic. It was a long hard struggle but it has definitely been worth it. Good luck to you.

(deactivated member)
on 5/6/16 4:01 pm
Revision on 07/05/16

I'm sorry you had to go through all that. I'm glad that your fistula repair was sucessful! That's encouraging :) congrats! 

Thank you for responding,

Megan M. :)