Can someone tell me the best way to find the BEST doctor in my area?

InTheMiddle
on 4/29/16 4:11 pm, edited 4/29/16 4:12 pm

I'm not sure which section to search in.  I dont want to just see reviews, I would like to talk to people. 

ChristineB
on 4/29/16 4:26 pm - Western 'Burbs Chgo, IL

Try checking with a local hospital for a recommendation for a PCP or with your surgeon's office for someone they would recommend.

Open RNY May 7
260/155/140 

Oxford Comma Hag
on 4/29/16 4:45 pm

Are you looking for a surgeon? First, check your insurance. Do you have to stick to a network of doctors? If so, find out who is in network and start winnowing the list down.

Things I would ask: Is the clinic a Center of Excellence?

How many surgeries has the surgeon done? 

Does the program charge fees above your out of pocket?

Has the surgeon had any patients die as a result of surgery? If so, how many and why?

Does the surgeon exclusively practice bariatrics or just dabble?

How are emergencies handled?

Why bariatrics? Not a necessary question, but who wants to go to a surgeon who hates fat people and is just milking a cash cow?

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Donna L.
on 4/29/16 7:54 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I did not go to a Center of Excellence, but my surgeon has experience with all the surgeries including the DS (though he does not do the DS) because he had his residency at one of the best Centers of Excellence in the country and was the chief resident while he was there.  The surgical center I had it at is going to become one, regardless, and the two surgeons contracted there for bariatrics have extremely good pedigrees that rival those at some of the better hospitals in Chicago.

Keep in mind that you can also interview doctors.  My first appointment was an hour long with my surgeon nearly, and I was won over by his honesty and expertise.  He had done the procedure several hundred times, he was an excellent general abdominal surgeon as well though his focus is on bariatrics.  I asked my surgeon: how many procedures he had done, what he thought of the DS versus the VSG given my significant health issues and high BMI (78 at the time), what his success rates were, what the program offers in terms of support, what would happen in case of surgical complications, what he expected my weight loss to be, whether he could do it lapropscopicaly or not, how many of his 400lb+ patients does he perform a laproscopic procedure for versus open surgery (I was over 420 at the time), when I could go to work again, when I could drive again, should I arrange FMLA prior to surgery "in case", could I sleep in a bed and be by myself after discharge, when could I return to normal activity and lifting, would I need an abdominal binder, what wound care did he require post-operatively, etc.

There were more, but that's all I can remember.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Laura in Texas
on 4/30/16 6:22 am

Find support groups in your area and ask people there.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

InTheMiddle
on 5/6/16 9:09 pm

Support groups are about an hour away so I thought I'd try here, with the "experts". :)  and tbh Im not good at asking questions in person with a group of strangers.  

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/2/16 1:11 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

How do you define "best?"

• Highest percentage of patients with X% EWL? EWL maintained?
  • Lowest complication and/or mortality rate?
  • Easiest to work with, good bedside manner, etc?

Your best bet is to actually talk to the doctors, face-to-face. Many, if not most, offer free information seminars where you can go and hear a quick presentation and ask a few questions. You can do an initial appointment-- many have them for free-- and bring a list of questions you'd like to ask. 

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

InTheMiddle
on 5/6/16 9:07 pm

Thanks for your reply.   When I had my band I thought my doc was great.   When I began having problems with my band he was no longer great.   I eventually had to find another doctor to have it out.   Due to insurance I wasn't able to convert at the time.  He is good and has done a lot, but he doesn't answer questions well and you can tell he's irritatied if you ask too many.  I've dealt with so many problems already that I have a lot of questions.  I want someone withat a low leak rate but I also need to know they are there for the long haul.  I can't just go to every surgeon for a consult.  Free seminars are fantastic sales pitches.  I'm looking for personal reviews of Southern California doctors.  I live in a rural area and have to drive at least an hour to the closest doctor and 2 or more for others. I also have really crappy insurance. 

Kathy S.
on 5/9/16 9:12 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi InTheMiddle  

ObesityHelp.com has the largest database of surgeons listed.  Put your zip code in the search bar in the upper left hand corner and click GO.  It will give you a list of all surgeons that do all types of surgeries within 200 miles. 

You can filter your criteria by using the options to the right of the page.

Click on the name of the surgeon you are interested in researching and it will take you to their profile. You can view their background, surgery types, and reviews left by other members that have had surgery with them.  Once you find a couple that you are interested in, the next step is to attend their free seminar.  You can hear the surgeon talk about the procedure and a great opportunity to ask questions.

If you would like help finding a surgeon feel free to contact me at [email protected]

Regards,

Kathy

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130