Measuring foods

Heather P.
on 4/28/16 6:49 am

scale all the way!  I weigh EVERYTHING I put in  my mouth! 

Ht 5'7" HW 406, SW 361

RNY 3/28/16

Linda_S
on 4/28/16 11:30 am - Eugene, OR

It helps to get used to eating things from smaller serving dishes, as well.  I eat my yogurt or cottage cheese from a little pyrex cup, most meals on a salad plate instead of a dinner dish.  Try not to skip the veggies.  As others have said, I eat a lot of eggs and cheese.  I generally will pour the scrambled egg over some sautéed veggies, scramble and top with a little cheese.  Really filling, and the veggies help to make it a bit more healthy.  I like asparagus and broccolini best.

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

G2GAWAY
on 4/28/16 10:38 pm
RNY on 05/16/15

My doctor's office gave me a package of small one ounce containers from the $1 store. I used that to control portion sizes, with a mini spoon. Initially, I couldn't even eat the whole container in an hour. It was a good way to monitor. Once I moved to dense proteins, I used the kitchen scale.  

Cory

5'7" Starting Weight: 305

Current Weight: 145

NYMom222
on 4/29/16 7:54 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Sparklekitty Julie gave you lots of great advice. What she said....

Funny I have been finding weighing my protein powder helps too. The scoop they give you isn't accurate and I am shortchanging myself.

I put the cup or blender on the scale, zero it out (tare button). make sure it is set to weigh in grams. Check the label to make sure what the weight is for a serving. Add your powder and measure. When I dump a scoop in, I almost always have to add extra to get to the correct serving size.

The World According to Eggface Blog has lots of recipes and ideas for the different stages.

In the very beginnig measuring cups work, as you want to be careful with volume as well and there is little chance you are overeating. Certain things lend them selves to a measuring cup.

I measured the volume of all the bowls in my cabinet... (used a measuring cup and water) So that way, especially when I added things like some salad occasionally, and can eat more...that I am not overdoing on volume. Plus I can use them to 'measure' as well.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

NikkiIbby
on 4/29/16 10:01 am

Thank you NYMom222...I am looking forward to using all the wonderful advice given! I will have to get some little containers too...and I new water bottle that shows ounce's on it so I can track that. 

lking
on 4/29/16 2:11 pm - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 12/04/15

I use a small 2oz measuing cup for liquids and a 1/4 cup measuring "spoon" for dry food.

67 yrs old, 4'10", BMI 31.8 (51.8 at start), HW 256.4 (8/4/15), SW 217.4, CW 152.8 (4/30/18), GW 125.0, RNY 12/4/15 Dr. RoseMarie Jones, Breast Cancer DX 2/16, Bi-lateral mastectomy 8/9/16.