Measuring foods

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/28/16 9:00 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Starting new habits in advance is really helpful! A few other things you can practice ahead of time:

• Take teeny bites-- like, the size of a grain of rice
  • Drink water all day long, at least 64 oz
  • Don't drink with meals; wait until at least half an hour after
  • Take vitamins every day. You can start with a regular multi now, get in the habit of taking them with a meal or at bedtime
  • Log everything you eat, MyFitnessPal is a great site for that

I highly suggest snagging a copy of "Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies," it's a great overview of everything and has good info on life post-op!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

NikkiIbby
on 4/28/16 10:31 am

Oh my gosh thank you so much for all that..that is very helpful!! 

cinand
on 4/29/16 8:33 am - Houston, TX

My clinic recommends veggies first. I only have to take in 40 grams of protein per day. 

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 5/3/16 10:20 am, edited 5/3/16 3:21 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

I saw you haven;t hadd surgery yet, but your date may show up before you know it.  Good to investigate now.

Shortly after - cottage cheese with spag sauce - nuked (I call it WLS lasagna)  My recipes tend to be very esay - more assembly and nuke than really cook.

Chicken baked in spag sauce - kept it moist and easily eatible.  my grilled chx is too tough. 

Rotiserri  chik from grocery store, yeah prob a bunch of chemicals - but too easy for me not to use. 

I got a dig scale and a bunch of small paper and reg plates (from GoodWill).  Weigh things on paper plate, not just on scale - my glass plates weigh too much for scale.  Some people say tehy eat out of meas cups.  I have always enjoyed turning it over and plopping food out on a plate.  (I hate the Biggest Loser SHow, but the scale I got hs the show's logo on it and it works fine.)

Good luck - try a bunch of the ideas you're getting and tell us which are the best. 

Sharon

Maria27
on 4/28/16 6:51 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

Eggs and cheese is my go to. Either an omelet or separately depending on my mood. Even a hard-boiled egg with cheese on the side is a good combination. Really, there are endless ways to combine eggs and cheese. For the first several months, I also ate a lot of greek yogurt with my own toppings. That is a great choice in the beginning until you start to feel more hunger. My other suggestion is rotisserie chicken from the grocery store. They are inexpensive and provide a lot of meals.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

NikkiIbby
on 4/28/16 6:58 am

Those are great ideas...I do love all of those. The reason i have trouble staying on a diet sometimes is cause i get sick of eating the same things all the time but if i have more options I do a lot better on a diet. Thank you for you reply :) 

Maria27
on 4/28/16 7:12 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

I struggled a lot with getting sick of eating the same thing before surgery, and it also led to me going off diet many times. But going through the wls process and the diet phases broke me of that impulse. Now, I rarely care that I tend to eat the same things all the time. Stick closely to your instructions for months, and eventually you should get past that impulse too. Remember that food is fuel, so eat like a machine.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

NikkiIbby
on 4/28/16 8:20 am

That is great to hear that i am not the only one like this...thank you so much for your advice!

lykapal
on 4/28/16 8:22 am
RNY on 05/16/16

This - "Remember that food is fuel, so eat like a machine."  

I'm noticing that my food logs look like they're on repeat. It's even a little comforting now, knowing I don't have to think about what I'm going to eat. I have a plan to follow and it makes my life so much easier.

49/F 4' 11" Highest Wt. 183.8--Surgery Wt. 173.0--Current Wt. 115.2--Goal Wt. 115.0

obioxiupa
on 4/29/16 9:29 am

When I'm measuring using the scale, I place my dish on the scale, serve food until it registers two additional ounces - it is becoming a habit that is easy- just part of how I put food on my plate.  I keep the scale on the counter right next to my stove.  I also have a set of small glass owls with lids - each on is a cup - It's easy to approximate  1/4 cup or 1/2 cup in these especially once you have measured a few times.   I also have mason jars that have measurements on the side - I use those a lot too for packing lunches.

tara