Communication is Key...

pammieanne
on 4/27/16 12:21 pm - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

OK, so I am frustrated with my doctor's office, and I really need to be a whiny high maintenance cry baby for a bit...

A little history... because, you know, it makes the story sound better.

I chose my doctor in part because I have a dear friend who is a nurse, and was working on the Bariatric floor of the hospital that this doctor practices at. I accidentally ended up with a different doctor than my friend used for her surgery, but still a very highly competent doctor that's been doing RNY surgery here in OKC for a long time, and according to my nurse friend is a good pick...

I went in for my initial consultation, talked directly with the doctor, and was very optimistic about the process I had to go through to get to the surgery date. Because of my insurance, the doctor thought we could be through with the process in as little as 6 weeks (!) Yeah me! I am also working as quickly as possible because I work for a fracking company, and layoffs are eminent, and actually just last week our company filed Chapter 11... I'm really Really trying to get this surgery before another round of layoffs..

Anyway... on 3/4 the doc office submitted to my insurance... on 3/10 I called the insurance co and was told the 'coding' wasn't with the paperwork... on 3/11 I called doc office and spoke with insurance guru, who assured me insurance company had all they needed (I believe her, I know she does this for a living), but she would call the insurance company and get back with me - Never Did call me back... on 3/17 I received a letter in the mail from insurance co, again stating they didn't have what they needed... on 3/17 I called, left a message for insurance guru.. NO call back... on 3/21 I called again to the doc office, and left a message for my PA to call me... No Call Back. On 3/24 I called the doctor's office and spoke with the first person I could get to answer and I was pretty upset. I asked her if perhaps I needed to find another doctor, when miraculously insurance guru gets on the phone... swears to me she doesn't understand what the problem is with my insurance company... blah blah blah...  end result is that on 3/30 new paperwork was finally submitted to my insurance company (correctly this time). 4/11 I call insurance company, and I have been approved (Yee Haw!), so I call insurance guru and leave a message telling her that I don't have the letter but if she will just call my insurance company they can give her the code she needs to get me rolling on that pre-op appointment... NO CALL BACK. I wait until I actually have the stupid letter in my mailbox (and my insurance company takes forever to get those letters out)... This Monday, April 25th I call and low and behold insurance guru answers the phone... gives me her email address and I email her a scanned copy of the letter. Do I hear from her? No. 

Now, she had already told me that depending on which week the letter comes, if it is there before Wednesday, I can be put into the following Tuesday's Pre-Op class, then surgery being 13 days after... I have to plan, I have to get a few things at work wrapped up, I have a life I need to organize, and I HAVE NO IDEA IF I'M IN THAT CLASS NEXT TUESDAY OR NOT!!!

Yes, I am lucky I'm not having to wait as long as so many people have to wait. I understand that, and I am truly thankful... but I can't stand that I NEVER get my messages returned from my doctor's office!!! Is it unreasonable to expect that courtesy? Is this the Norm? Should I just climb under my rock and shut the heck up already and just wait for them to call me? Or should I drive down to the office and try a face to face meeting?

I'm stressed, I know that. If my company has another round of layoffs, and I'm in that group, ALL of the money I've spent doing all of the testing I've done will be for naught. And when I first met with the Doctor, we even discussed that, and even he was agreeable that I needed to get a move on!

Oh, and now my friend is working day surgery, and will have to pick up extra shifts to be there for me! (Which she wants to do, but still)

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

chassibi
on 4/27/16 12:24 pm

Maybe you need to speak with the office manager. I'm guessing they aren't used to moving quite this quickly. I started my process in November and will have surgery May 2, so a lot more lead time on all the "stuff".

When and if you do speak with the office manager, stress that you aren't interested in complaining, are just worried about getting your surgery done before you get laid off. That may help get them moving.

Good luck!

Consult Weight:276/Surgery Day Weight: 241.6 /Goal Weight: 150

pammieanne
on 4/27/16 12:46 pm - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

I guess my biggest beef is the lack of returning my phone calls. I don't call everyday. As a matter of fact, I don't even expect them to call me back the same day, I understand that they do other things besides answer the phone. But after a week, I think it's rude not to return my phone call :(

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/27/16 1:19 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Speaking as someone who works in healthcare-related Quality Improvement, I have a couple of suggestions.

1-- Go into the office in person. Bring any paperwork you have, and what information you need to get from them. They can't push you off if you're standing in front of them.

2-- Get in touch with the office manager. Provide him/her with a list of what you've dealt with, including dates if possible. Print it out and stick it in the mailbox, and/or hand it over in person. "Called on [date], asked for [whatever]. Did not hear back." Giving them a specific list can help them figure out what happened and (hopefully) how to fix it going forward.

3-- Mention your issues next time you speak to the surgeon in-person. They aren't always involved with the day-to-day workings of the back office, but if you mention you've had trouble reaching anyone, the doctor may be able to see what's going on.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Kathyjs
on 4/29/16 10:13 am

My a... Would be in that office wanting to speak to someone in person !!! Good luck