For the first time........

CMR1075
on 4/22/16 8:55 pm
VSG on 01/15/16

For the first time I am scared S##T from having this surgery. Dying my roots tonight I noticed the top front of my head is looking pretty thin. WTF is all I could say!!! There aren't too many things I am vain about - my hair is one of them. Not a happy camper here at the moment. I know it's a side effect, I knew it was something that was a possibility, I was just hoping it wouldn't happen to me. Looks like I need to start saving for extension 

Vent over lol. 

White Dove
on 4/22/16 10:38 pm - Warren, OH

The hair loss is pretty universal from month three until month nine after surgery.  It will grow back again.  Your body is getting a lot less food, so it is using that food for the things it considers essential.  It will send resources to the heart, brain, other organs and bones first.  Hair and nails are just decorations to the body.

All you can do is make sure you are getting your protein and vitamins.

The hair follicles are simply in a resting stage and growth will start again within the next three to six months.

I did not buy an extension or wig but came close.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

SkinnyScientist
on 4/26/16 8:56 am

Mine didnt grow back. I am by no means bald but it isnt as thick as it was.

What grew back came in curly too! I HAD straight hair!

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Nicole K.
on 4/23/16 3:55 am - Santa Monica, CA
RNY on 02/12/16

I don't have any advice, but I feel your pain.  I've noticed some serious shed going on with my hair.  Thankfully, I have A LOT of it.

Nicole 

RNY on 2/12/2016 with Dr. Kent Sasse

First consultation weight: 309  Goal weight: 150

CMR1075
on 4/23/16 9:07 am
VSG on 01/15/16

Unfortunately I don't have tons so if I loose it's going to be bald city for me lol. 

Kathyjs
on 4/23/16 6:37 am

Have you ever noticed that morbidly obese people, not all, have beautiful long hair? I think because at least for me, I hated my body but my hair I could make look nice. When I started losing a lot of weight, I cut my hair very short. Mine remains a little thin. But so am I :-) 

The Salty Hag
on 4/23/16 8:49 am
RNY on 05/20/13

My hair pre-WLS was long and shiny. It was thinner than it had been in my 20s and 30s, but I had a LOT of it, so it looked thick. My hair took a big hit after my surgery. It got thin and scraggly, and looked terrible long, so I got it cut in order for it to look fluffier. I now keep it cut short-ish. ( short medium, if that makes sense. ) 

When my hair started growing back, it grew in curly. I had waves before, but now it's just curly. I did have to have a gallbladder removal/hernia repair at 3 months out, and I think having two surgeries so close together was what hit my hair so hard. At least, that's what I've convinced myself of anyway...haha. It also started naturally growing into a mullet...yay. If I don't keep my bottom layers trimmed, I look like Joe Dirt and early 70's era Carol Brady had a love child. 

I wouldn't do extensions, I think overall they'll do more long term damage than the surgery. Your hair will bounce back from the surgery. It will take a while, but it'll get there. 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

CMR1075
on 4/23/16 9:06 am
VSG on 01/15/16

LOL..that had me giggling, thank you. My hair has never been thick and luxurious like I have wanted, but it was always good and styled cute. I've had shorter hairstyles in the past but always hated it after I cut it thinking it made my face look fatter. I know the hair loss thing will be something I will have to accept. I bought some clip in extensions last week for my upcoming wedding. I guess I will just be wearing those more often then I figured lol. 

JackBurton
on 4/23/16 1:47 pm
RNY on 04/30/15

My thinning slowed down considerably after the first two months after surgery. I am one year removed and my hair has been rebounding a little in the past four months. 

Biotin. Find it in chewable form and take it with the rest of you vitamins. Also, I switched to Nioxin for shampoo and conditioner. It is cheap on Amazon compared to the salons. The combination of those two along with getting plenty of protein and vitamins/minerals is going to help.

I am quite vain about it myself, but I knew it was a price to pay for a better quality of life/longer life. I was happy to see that I could rebound from it.

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 4/23/16 6:55 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Maybe not extensions - they will pull on the hair you have left.  I did buy this powder that you brush on your scalp to make it let visible under the hair.  It was about $20-25

Sharon