To Sleeve or not!

Jaq
on 4/25/16 6:27 am

Thanks.   Wasn't aware that VSG took longer to reverse diabetes.  Good things to keep in mind.  

Cheers

Cheers,

Jaq 

Don't look back, you're not going that way.  

NYMom222
on 4/25/16 9:30 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Just saw this article you might want to read. It does link to the original study

Five Year Bariatric Surgery Outcomes

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Jaq
on 4/25/16 9:51 am

Thank you very much.  Was a very eye opening article.

Cheers

Cheers,

Jaq 

Don't look back, you're not going that way.  

Donna L.
on 4/24/16 11:35 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

The sleeve actually does cause an improvement in diabetes; many studies since 2014 have echoed this, though there are not nearly as many as for the RNY or DS.  The DS is hands-down the best for permanently curing it.  You will still see a good benefit with the sleeve, a better benefit with the RNY, and the best with the DS. I imagine the ultimate outcome also depends how impaired the pancreas is.

My diabetes went into complete remission.  My blood sugar and AIC have been normal since surgery.  The day of surgery my fasting blood sugar was 180, and a week later it was 83.  It's been higher the past week (95ish) because I'm under incessant stress and eating too much fruit.  Diet makes a big difference long term, as it will definitely return with poor dietary choices.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life