To Sleeve or not!

White Dove
on 4/22/16 1:58 pm - Warren, OH

With Type 2 diabetes RNY would be a no-brainer.  Something about the surgery puts diabetes into remission the day of surgery for about 80% of patients. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

harrietvane
on 4/23/16 3:20 am
DS on 02/09/16

Have you considered the DS? The resolution rate for diabetes is the highest of all the bariatric surgeries. My family has a history of Type 2 diabetes, and this was one of the factors that made the DS the right choice for me.

Jaq
on 4/23/16 7:35 am, edited 4/23/16 9:33 am

Unfortunately,  the DS  is not covered in Canada.  Not sure why it isn't.   I am struggling over which one to have.  A third choice will be a nightmare. 

Cheers,

Jaq 

Don't look back, you're not going that way.  

harrietvane
on 4/23/16 4:23 pm
DS on 02/09/16

That's a shame. I went to Canada (from Singapore) for mine but I was always going to be self-pay, both for lack of surgeons here and complication of a revision.

Best of luck for whichever path you decide to take.

Jaq
on 4/23/16 4:34 pm

Thank you.  

Cheers,

Jaq 

Valerie G.
on 4/25/16 9:39 am, edited 4/25/16 2:38 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Dr. Gagner has been doing DS in Canada for a few years now.  Did he stop or are you out of his coverage area?

Like the others, I would recommend RNY over VSG for dealing with Type 2 diabetes if you cannot get the DS, which has the best statistics for permanent cure of diabetes.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Jaq
on 4/25/16 9:46 am

He is not one of the surgeons in my area.   I will be asking my surgeon why he doesn't do it or if the province doesn't cover it.

Cheers,

Jaq 

NYMom222
on 4/23/16 9:40 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Since your body is already being effected by the diabetes (kidneys) ...RNY should strongly be considered. I would want the best chance at reversing the diabetes.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Jaq
on 4/24/16 11:31 am

Thanks for your reply.  My Surgeon says both will do it.  That is what makes it so confusing.  I know that at about 18 months I will lose by restriction only like the sleeve but with RNY I would be left with a remnant stomach.  Not worried about taking vitamins but I am not afraid that I wont be able to chew my food properly.  I am currently a fast eater and I don't chew my food well.  Not sure if that is something that is learned or not.

Cheers,

Jaq 

NYMom222
on 4/24/16 8:37 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Yes both can help diabetes, but it is not the same. In RNY the most people's  diabetes is reversed within days. RNY creates a metabolic change. With the sleeve it gets better as you lose the weight. Not as immediate. I know for me I needed more than just restriction, I needed the malabsorption to get me on my way.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save