To Sleeve or not!

Jaq
on 4/22/16 12:15 pm

Hi,

I have researched and researched and then I  researched some more.  My problem is this.  I am 5'2".  I weigh 220 and I am a Type 2 Diabetic.  

I have my diabetes under control but I was advised to get surgery as my diabetes will gradually get worse.  My left kidney is showing signs of damage so I am only taking 5mg of Farxiga.  Now, I am Canadian so my surgery is covered so cost isn't an issue.  However, I am not sure which surgery to have.  My Dr won't give me advice.  He just says that both are good strong surgeries.  

What made you choose the surgery you had.  I would like to get to 130 pounds so it's 90 pounds I am wanting to lose.  

Thanking you in advance.  Happy Friday! 

Jaq

Deanna798
on 4/22/16 12:29 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

I was 291lbs, 42 years old and had a raging case of Type 2 diabetes.  Initially, I was interested in the VSG, since it seemed less invasive.  My primary care doctor told me to look into RNY because I was insulin dependent and my A1C was upwards of 11.  then I went to the informational seminar and learned more, and that got me more interested in the RNY.  Once I met with the surgeon and we discussed, he told me that he would recommend the RNY because it can have really positive effects on Type 2 diabetes.

I eventually chose RNY.  I stopped all medications the week before surgery (since I had liquid diet) and at my 3 month appointment my A1C was 4.7.  My A1C at 6 months was 4.5.  It was successful in putting my diabetes into remission, and to me that was the most important thing. 

But, i know that many people have controlled their diabetes with diet and you can put it into remission with the VSG as well.  I would say, if you asked me what I thought you should do, of course I'm going to say get the RNY because it worked for me, but really it's got to be something that you decide.  Having RNY isn't much different than having the sleeve, except you will need to take vitamins forever.  you can fail WLS with VSG and with RNY and both take a lot of commitment and effort to stay on track.

Either way you choose, I wish you the best of luck.

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Kathy S.
on 4/22/16 12:57 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Jaq,

As you can imagine this has been asked "a lot".  I advise people I speak with to read carefully the pros and cons of all surgery types and then ask yourself which one can you live with for the rest of your life.  You have to be honest with yourself.  Here are some links that hopefully will help you.  You didn't say what was the other surgery type you were considering but I will assume it was the bypass.

Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy Forum (VSG)
Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Surgery Forum (RNY)

Search results for RNY vs VSG

http://www.obesityhelp.com/search/?q=vsg+versus+RNY

Good Luck and let us know if we can do anything else to help

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

emelar
on 4/22/16 12:50 pm - TX

I didn't think Canada did the sleeve unless the RNY just couldn't be done for a medical reason?  Just curious

On diabetes, if your doctor is telling you that weight loss by itself will help, either surgery will work fine.  The RNY has better statistics for putting diabetes into remission, so if you have had diabetes for a long time or it's only controlled with pretty heavy duty drugs, the RNY is probably your best bet.  I was diabetic for around 5 years, on Actos and Byetta.  I was off of medication as of the day of surgery and still maintaining.

Jaq
on 4/22/16 1:07 pm

I am in the province of Alberta and the band, sleeve and bypass are fully covered.  Not sure about the other provinces.  My last A1C was 5.3 and fasting was 5.4.  That is why my surgeon has said either.   Because Alberta let's you as a patient decide which surgery you want, he is making me choose.  I am only controlled because I am being very diligent on what I eat and maintaining a 1,200 calorie diet.  Farxiga or Forxiga as it is called in Canada has been a godsend as I had to be taken off Metformin because of my kidneys.  Now my surgeon was trained in Texas and came to Canada to teach the sleeve.   He decided to stay.  So I I do know his specialty is the sleeve.   To be honest,  I am leaning towards the sleeve but I know the RNY is probably better for my diabetes.  

Cheers,

Jaq 

Don't look back, you're not going that way.  

emelar
on 4/22/16 1:30 pm - TX

RNY or VSG

Here's a link to many of the threads where this has been discussed.  To a certain extent, it gets down to personal preference.

If you have GERD/reflux, the VSG is not recommended because it can make the GERD worse.  If you have any condition that requires the use of NSAID pain relievers, then the sleeve is a better choice than the RNY (note: many surgeons prohibit NSAIDs for all forms of WLS). 

Otherwise, the surgery is a tool.  Use it correctly, and it'll work for you.  They ALL take work.  No magic bullet.  No waking up from surgery instantly at your goal weight, much to my disappointment.

Best of luck with your decision.

Jaq
on 4/22/16 1:51 pm

Thanks for your help.  Gerd is not an issue.  I will be having a Gastroscopy next month to see the condition of my stomach.  Not sure if my battle with H. Pylori will be an issue.  Guess we will have to wait and see.

Cheers 

Cheers,

Jaq 

Deanna798
on 4/22/16 2:06 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

Your diabetes is very well controlled, so I can't see why you would choose RNY just because of diabetes.  VSG will likely be the same for you, and there will be less issue with malabsorption of vitamins and you'll likely not have issues with dumping (though dumping is a good deterrent for eating off plan).

You will need your willpower and diligence no matter which surgery you get.  This is no quick fix and we could all easily eat our way back to where we started, regardless of which surgery we had.

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Jaq
on 4/22/16 2:12 pm, edited 4/23/16 12:29 am

Thanks for putting things into perspective.   In Canada, we have to prove we are suitable candidates and that takes forever.   Then you meet your surgeon,  sign the papers and then find out that his waiting list is another year.  It gives one too much time to keep chopping and changing.   

Cheers, 

Jaq

Cheers,

Jaq 

Jaq
on 4/22/16 1:16 pm