Help! Pre-op diet trouble.

Mandee32
on 4/22/16 4:22 pm
RNY on 05/13/16

I am on my first day of optifast and was told I can only have cucumbers, lettuce or broccoli. Are we okay to have soups or Popsicles? 

LizTlilwitchy
on 4/23/16 6:56 am - Cincinnati, OH
VSG on 05/06/16

I would check with my Doctor and what his plan is.

I started my two week Pre-Op Sugar Free Liquid Fast yesterday also.  I am only allowed 800 calories, Five Proti-VLC Shakes a day, Sugar Free drinks (Powerade Zero, Vitamin Water Zero, etc. as long as it is less than 5 calories a serving.)  I am allowed to substitute up to two Nutri-Fast Soups for two shakes.  I am also allowed only 1 or 2 half cup servings of Sugar Free Jello or 1 or 2 Sugar Free Popsicles.  I am not allowed ANY solids for these two weeks.  I am also allowed clear broth, and only decaf black coffee or tea with artificial sweetener.  i am doing okay, but I drank 108 ounces yesterday trying to stave off the withdrawal headaches.  I still have a headache, but at least I am not dehydrated!  The peeing has commenced!

I figure I have one best chance at this, so I have read and re-read my Doctor's instructions, made notes, read anything and everything I can get my hands on, including reading through all these forums more than once.  I want to be as educated and informed as I can be.  I have made life hard on myself for too long!  I want to do everything I can do get this right!

Good luck to you!  I wish you the best with your plan and your surgery!

Liz T

5'7" HW: 280, Pre-Op:280, SW:262, M1:-24, M2: In Progress, CW:238  Surgery: VSG on 5/06/16

"Do it until you want to do it."  "Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better." ~ Maya Angelou

lking
on 4/22/16 4:59 pm - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 12/04/15

Unjury chicken soup is great pre/post surgery!

67 yrs old, 4'10", BMI 31.8 (51.8 at start), HW 256.4 (8/4/15), SW 217.4, CW 152.8 (4/30/18), GW 125.0, RNY 12/4/15 Dr. RoseMarie Jones, Breast Cancer DX 2/16, Bi-lateral mastectomy 8/9/16.

Amy R.
on 4/23/16 9:10 am, edited 4/23/16 2:11 am

I don't have anything new to add really, except that for some reason the broth from Campbells Chunky soup was a lifesaver for me both pre and post op.  I would strain out the solids and just eat the broth.  The broth was thick and so  much more satisfying than anything else I tried and it came in so many flavors that I didn't get too tired of them.

Maybe that sounds wasteful - but  I was ready to spend the money if it got me through those weeks of liquids.

You'll find your way through it.  It's frustrating but even if you end up hating every day of it you'll soon be done.  And it's all worth in the end anyway, right?   ;)

edited to add:  the other thing that helped, since I don't like popsicles, was freezing diet Hansen's soda or Crystal Light in ice cube trays.  Gave me something to "eat" when I was sick of hot things like soup.

JackBurton
on 4/23/16 1:38 pm
RNY on 04/30/15

Virgin bloody marys helped me.