Help! Pre-op diet trouble.

Morningcalm
on 4/21/16 4:18 pm
VSG on 05/03/16

Hello,

Im on day 4 of my pre-op liquid diet and and starting to struggle. I have been having 4 protein shakes and 3 bowls of soup a day (homemade tomato basil and a butternut squash one). I'm sooooo over it!! I'm tried just chicken broth today but it was way too salty. Does anyone have any good soup recipes or other things we can have for our pre op diet.  

Kathyjs
on 4/21/16 7:06 pm

Sugar free Popsicles help.

Morningcalm
on 4/22/16 3:17 am
VSG on 05/03/16

I'm gonna get some today ?

NYMom222
on 4/21/16 8:21 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Sugar free jello can help too. Since your soups aren't clear liquid can you do egg drop soup? It is hard, but worth it.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Morningcalm
on 4/22/16 3:17 am
VSG on 05/03/16

Ooooh egg drop sounds good!!! Good idea ?  Thank you. I'm also not a jello fan but I'm about to do anything lol. 

Chelsey1127
on 4/21/16 8:26 pm

I wanted to chew a lot during those 2 weeks. So I would make sure I always had ice in my water/liquid and chew on the ice throughout the day. It helped curb the wanting solids but also helped intake of water just a little bit. Good luck! I just had surgery Monday and am back on liquids so I know the struggle!

Morningcalm
on 4/22/16 3:16 am
VSG on 05/03/16

Thanks for the response. How did surgery go?

Chelsey1127
on 4/22/16 4:34 pm

It's been a totally different experience that I was and wasn't prepared for. But things are starting to finally mellow out and I starting to feel semi normal again 

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 4/22/16 5:12 am, edited 4/21/16 10:39 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

The first week on a diet was always the worst for me - you don't have it down to a system yet, so it will get easier. 

When my doctor told me to lose some weight before surgery, i wanted to scream at him - WHY BOTHER IT WILL ONLY COME BACK - bu before I said anything, I realized that was why I was having the surgery so it WOULD NOT come back.  That thought helped make the pre-op diet different for me.  The promise of having the surgery made it easier for me to make good choices during that time (My pre-op period included Thanksgiving and all the Christmas parties - I had surgery on 12/22 and busted out of the hospital on Christmas Eve -so I had a lot of temptation to say No to.)

This is also a time to practice and strengthen your ability to follow directions - you will need to follow directions post-op and continue for good long-term weight loss.  The food and eating issues you work through now will be behind you and will make you post-op weight loss easier.  You are doing a good thing by asking for ideas that keep you following your drs instruction. 

I have a sweet tooth - so I added diet orange soda (~6 oz) to a vanilla shake (8oz) and had a creamcycle shake - it got me through pre-op.  Can't do it post-op because of the soda but you won't need much volume to feel full.   Pre-op I used 12gm per serving prot shakes so I could have satisfying volume.  Post surg - I used the 35 gms of prot per serving prot shakes because you will not need volume to fill you up.

Pre-op - I also added diet chock soda to chock prot shakes.

Hang in there - you are making more progress than you now realize.

Sharon

Morningcalm
on 4/22/16 6:40 am
VSG on 05/03/16

Thank you soooo much!!! If you can do it through the holiday then I can do this ð?'ª?.  You rock!!!