Fat Bashing or Funny?

Kathy S.
on 4/20/16 10:31 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Do you think this is fat bashing/shaming?  Or do we need to chill?

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 4/20/16 10:39 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

Doesnt bother me really.. I mean, maybe the artist/company thinks aliens would come to harvest us for food? We fatten up our animals before the slaughter :P Or, maybe they're saying the fat people will be easier to catch since we cant really run away... to which, they're correct! I think its suppose to be funny. A little insensitive, but I wont let it bother me. I have bigger fish to fry

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 4/20/16 5:59 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

HaHa, screw running, we got guns. lol

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

MaryEllen OntheEastCoast
on 4/20/16 10:40 am - CT

Just my opinion - in poor taste.  I would not do business with them.

Heather P.
on 4/20/16 10:42 am

It doesn't offend me, but it's stupid.  It makes no sense.  Also, just because you belong to a gym doesn't mean you aren't fat.  

Ht 5'7" HW 406, SW 361

RNY 3/28/16

Heather P.
on 4/20/16 10:44 am

Also....even though it doesn't offend me, doesn't mean it's not offensive.   Imagine if it said "they'll take the gay ones first"  or the "dark skinned ones first".   That would certainly be offensive.  Calling out fat people as being "less than" is socially acceptable where other groups of people are protected.

Ht 5'7" HW 406, SW 361

RNY 3/28/16

Kathy S.
on 4/20/16 11:36 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

GREAT POINT! Wow, can you imagine if you filled in the "fat" word with some of your suggestions? The shi* would hit the fan and CNN.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Heavens2Betsy
on 4/20/16 10:49 am
RNY on 02/29/16

At first I thought it was an ad for some weird alien movie.  But, no it's fat bashing!  It's an ad for a gym, for chrissakes.  Yuck!  

Flood 'em with this:  Ban the F Word

Age: 55.  5' 8" SW 345 lbs.  RNY on 2/29/16 at UVA w/ Dr. Hallowell.     
Month 1 - 3/29/16: 319 (25 lbs. lost) | Month 2 - 4/27/16: 314 (5 lbs. lost) | 
Month 3 - 5/29/16: 303 (12 lbs. lost) | Month 4 - 6/28/16:  293 (10 lbs. lost)
Month 5 - 7/28/16: 289 (4 lbs lost) | Month 6 - 8/28/16: 282 (7 lbs. lost) |
Month 7 - 9/27/16: 278 (4 lbs lost)

Deanna798
on 4/20/16 10:51 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I'm kinda torn on this. In a way it's a bit of fat shaming. I know it's supposed to be funny, and I'm assuming its for a gym or something. But I think it's really false advertising, and if a gym is saying that you'll be skinny if you work out with them, then shame on them because it's about so much more than that, and we all know it.

Then again, I hate to be one of thoese PC people who are too easily offended, but we have such a wide spread discrminiation against obese people and such a culture of cruelty that I find it hard not to be offended. I don't think that the intent was to offend, but with the way society is now I'm not surprised that most people will just shrug this off as nothing..

Not long ago one of my facebook acquaintences posted a video of a morbidly obese woman trying to mount a horse with the caption "disgusting" and I just had to unfriend her. I let her know I was disapponited that she could be so insensitive and just moved on.

Most of the time obesity comes with so much baggage and low self esteem, we as a society need to not add to it with mindless shaming.

and now to step off of my soapbox.

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Amy R.
on 4/20/16 12:16 pm

I'm pretty much of the opinion that fat-bashing, fat-shaming, etc is one of the very last forms of acceptable prejudice.

I was thin for my whole adult life before I gained 150lbs after having my youngest.  I was stunned at how differently I had been treated.  Then I was stunned again when I realized I had oftentimes said and/or done the same things when I had been the one on the thin side.  It wasn't even intentional rude/hurtful behaviors  in my case - just completely ignorant.

It's hard because there are two opinions, starkly different, about being fat.  One is that fat is bad and we'll do anything to be "thin" or "normal" by society's standards.  (I remember  hearing results of a poll among  overweight women age 18-34.  A majority of those poor ladies said they would voluntarily take 10  years off of their life spans in exchange for being a size 6 or 10 or whatever it was.  TEN YEARS!  It broke my heart)

On the opposite end of the spectrum are the fat-love and such. ( NOT speaking of the groups that help you learn to love your body, whatever it looks like at the time). An example of the more militant ones is the National Association to Aid Fat Acceptance. Try talking about WLS with someone who is into or belongs to NAAFA.  And don't even get me started on the whole disgusting "feeder" phenomenon.

For whatever reason, this has been on my mind lately.  Pondering where I really stand in the whole equation.  People say they are happy when they SSMO,  but I sure wasn't.  And because I wasn't it's hard for me to understand.

And then there is the whole HAES movement.

Looking forward to following this thread - it's a good one Kathy!  I hope a lot of people see this and check in.  It will be fun seeing different opinions and experiences.