3 month post-op

CMR1075
on 4/20/16 7:14 pm
VSG on 01/15/16

Lol I feel like that is my f/t job too. I don't mind drinking the water - in fact I love water and drank tons of it before my surgery. I just need to figure out how to drink more of it now since I always have a full feeling. 

lxl_Miz_lxl
on 4/20/16 6:44 pm
VSG on 01/11/16

There are foods I can eat 3 ounces of (cottage cheese, yogurt, protein pudding) and others I can't (fish, chicken, etc).

Every day seems like a struggle for me to get 64+ ounces in, mostly because when I wake up I still feel queasy-ish in the mornings.

I usually have a 16 ounce warm drink (tea, bone broth ,coffee) then a protein shake in the mornings. 

Warm/hot drinks go down easier than cold for me.. I can drink 16 oz of warm liquids in a few minutes. 

I still can't drink water.. I use different flavored single to go packets and drink lipton diet peach tea and diet cran mango

In the evenings I have a protein concoction I made.. between the shake and the pudding, there is 50-60g of protein. 

I usually hit 80-90 g a day. 

CMR1075
on 4/20/16 7:15 pm
VSG on 01/15/16

What kind of pudding?

lxl_Miz_lxl
on 4/20/16 7:24 pm, edited 4/20/16 12:27 pm
VSG on 01/11/16

I mix it up in the morning so by evening it's thicker

It makes two servings:

6 ounces 0% fage total - (18 p/100 cal) 

1 scoop chocolate splendor protein powder - (21 p/100 cal)

1 scoop isopure unflavored powder - (26 p/ 110 cal)

2 tablespoons s.f. torani s'more syrup - (5 cal)

Total per serving -  (33 p/ 158 cal)

If I am feeling fancy (and have calorie/carb allowance) I'll add some ff reddi whip (2 T is 10 calories/2 carbs)

CMR1075
on 4/20/16 7:29 pm
VSG on 01/15/16

I am going to have to try that! Thanks for the recipe :)

Nicole K.
on 4/21/16 3:59 am - Santa Monica, CA
RNY on 02/12/16

I'm so glad you posted this, I'm almost 10 weeks and I'm struggling with the same things, it's awful.  I'm stalled, and it's a great day for me if I can get 40 ounces of water in. When I start drinking more, I get so nauseous. 

Nicole 

RNY on 2/12/2016 with Dr. Kent Sasse

First consultation weight: 309  Goal weight: 150

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 4/26/16 7:50 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Sit down with a pencil and calculator and plan it out.  Once you have a system you can follow, you will be OK. 

You are probably getting good advice in that you will feel better and have better long term results if you get your prot and fluids up.  When you are on low protein for awhile (not just a day here or there) you body canabalizes your protein stores (depletes your lean muscle mass) to keep you going in the short term.  You do not want that, you want to preserve your lean muscle mass because that is what burns calories.

For me, I had to get 12-16 oz in before breakfast.  That was between 5:30 and 9, when I had my first break at work and I had breakfast then.  I drink in the car on the way to work.   

Early on, I drank 2 Pure Protein shakes - they EACH had 35 gms of protein, so I had 70 gms of protein plus whatever I ate. I had some other shakes that were only 10gms of prot per 8 oz, I never used them and still have them floating around the kitchen.

Also, I cannot tell from your post, but all fluids, even the prot shakes count, toward your 64 oz goal. 

What works for you may be different, given your work schedule, but take some of the ideas you get (not just mine) and see what the best daily plan for you will be.  For me, there was too much to think about at first (water, waiting, vitamins, sip, being too full) to try to figure it out day by day.

The good news it that it all gets easier!

Sharon

CMR1075
on 4/26/16 7:59 am
VSG on 01/15/16

Planning it out would be a good idea because there are days that go by and I barely eat. I am sure that's why I have had a halt in weight loss. Like yesterday, I ate good all day and still only got about 63 g of protein and then realized at 9 at night that I hadn't drank any water that day except for swallowing my vitamins in the morning. The only thing I had to drink was some Vitamin Water Zero a little bit after my lunch break. The water thing seems to be the hardest and I just need to find some creative ways to get it in.....or stay awake for more hours of the day just to drink lol. 

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 4/26/16 8:10 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

I am a pretty smart cookie, and I had to have a plan and stick to it. There is a lot to juggle.  But I could change out what I had for breakfast, as long as I got 10 gms in.

Even 16 month out and below my goal wt, I still need some prot shakes to get it all in.  Esp recently because I had shoulder surgery and have add'l meds to get in for awhile.

You will figure out what works and then modify it as needed. 

See this post also from Rocky513, a successful long-timer:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/6004666/64-oz-of-Wate r-for-WLS-Fact-or-Fiction/#50054113

Don't forget that we are more inclined to get kidney stones from our vitamin supplementation.  Most multi vitamins have calcium carbonate which can cause kidney stones.  Drinking lots of fluids helps prevent the formation of stones.

I have to drink 120 ounces to avoid constipation.  Most of us struggle with constipation from the high protein diet.  The best way to stay "regular" is to drink a lot of fluid. I would be a mess if I drank only 48 ounces  daily.

As for your "not being one to blindly follow rules"... I think that you are setting yourself up for problems.  Following the WLS rules to the letter is essential for success.  We became obese by "doing it our own way".  

Sharon