Transfer addiction: Shopping!

Deanna798
on 4/18/16 9:55 am
RNY on 08/04/15

So far I've avoided anything too bad, but I think I have a problem with shopping.  I've been able to control it for the most part, but I can see a trend and it makes me very nervous.  I think what really made it stand out to me, and I know this is going to sound crazy, was when I went online to Amazon.com and got a warm fuzzy feeling when I was just browsing.  

So far it hasn't caused me any financial issues, but I am going to have to be very mindful of my spending.  It actually gives me the warm tinglies just thinking about buying something.  I add things to my shopping cart and leave them there, then move them out, then put them back.  It's crazy.

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

mschwab
on 4/18/16 10:28 am
RNY on 11/21/14

I love that shopping warm tingly feeling.  Do I have a shopping addiction? No.  Do I periodically abuse shopping? Perhaps. I do know it is not a transfer addiction since I was this way before surgery.  I do stay within my means, so I am not worried.

Height: 5'7".  HW: 299, Program starting weight: 290, SW: 238, CW 138 - 12 pounds under goal!  

dangeloc
on 4/18/16 11:25 am

I also get a high from shopping. But now I sell my things on eBay. So it's almost a good thing. Something to consider if you are a salesperson!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/18/16 11:44 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Set up a wishlist on Amazon, then you can save whatever you like!

You might try Pinterest, too. You can pin stuff from any shop, and that's a good way to collect things!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

supershopper
on 4/18/16 11:44 am

I've always been a shopper... from the time I was a child- but I'm also very cheap. or so my husband says.

I sell my old clothes on swap.com, ebay, facebook sites, etc. I use that money to by new to me clothes. I like to change things up :)

A thrift store near me does 10/$15 and one does $1.00 racks- I stock up for less than $20.

I don't consider it an issue for me.

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

PaulaB72
on 4/18/16 9:02 pm - Canada
On April 18, 2016 at 4:55 PM Pacific Time, Deanna798 wrote:

So far I've avoided anything too bad, but I think I have a problem with shopping.  I've been able to control it for the most part, but I can see a trend and it makes me very nervous.  I think what really made it stand out to me, and I know this is going to sound crazy, was when I went online to Amazon.com and got a warm fuzzy feeling when I was just browsing.  

So far it hasn't caused me any financial issues, but I am going to have to be very mindful of my spending.  It actually gives me the warm tinglies just thinking about buying something.  I add things to my shopping cart and leave them there, then move them out, then put them back.  It's crazy.

I do the EXACT same thing... online shopping is totally my transfer addiction too.  :)

HW - 339lbs

SW - 301

CW - 282lbs

RNY 03/21/2016

Msjones514
on 4/19/16 6:06 am
VSG on 03/31/16

I've been a shopping addict for years. When I got too heavy to have fun at the mall, the online shopping addiction took over. It's funny though...since my VSG surgery I haven't bought anything for myself. Not even a pair of shoes!!!  WHAT???

On my way back to being me. 

Juliek7312
on 4/19/16 6:41 am

i find myself finding excused to shop. I was happy that Sunday was my sisters birthday because it gave me an excuse to buy her clothes. Ive always enjoyed giving people gifts, but never enjoyed the shopping. Its... weird

Height: 5'5" HW: 370 SW: 363 CW: 177 RNY: 4/28/15

The Salty Hag
on 4/19/16 7:24 am
RNY on 05/20/13

Been there ( am there now, actually ), done that, ( doing it now...haha. *discreetly closes macys.com tab* ) and bought all the purses. And I do mean ALLLLLL the purses. ( and clothes and shoes...but mostly purses. )

It started off with a trip to an outlet mall one night in August of 2012. "I don't have a black purse. I think I should get one...for dressy occasions." Then later it was "Oh...I want a rainbow of purses!" ( yes, a rainbow of purses. I know, I know...)  Four years and lots of purses later, I've got multiples of every color of the rainbow...and then some. ( Yeah, I had a purse thing even before my surgery. Hey, purses almost always fit no matter what size I was! )

I've managed to slow way, way down on my shopping a lot over the last few months. It was hinky there for a bit.  ( October was baaaaad. ) It really does produce a dangerous high. I felt HAPPY. I was giddy and felt on top of the world when buying myself a gorgeous leather purse ( or 4 ). When I started playing the "What's the most expensive purse I can buy?" game, I knew it was time to rethink things. I was starting to stress out over it, so I knew that I needed to stop it. It was no longer fun or gave me that warm fuzzy feeling like you mentioned.

I didn't go into debt or anything...but my disposable income is um.."somewhat reduced" as of late. ( Of course some of that went to buying land for my hubs and him building a garage/ future side business and buying myself a sports car instead of boobies. )

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Deanna798
on 4/19/16 7:32 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I bought this on Saturday.  It's faux leather,  but it is  by a local artist,  which I love.  

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20