Why a sleep study?

dangeloc
on 4/14/16 1:02 pm

OK, I found the answer:

"Patients with sleep apnea who are undergoing any type of surgery are at an increased risk for developing respiratory and cardiovascular complications in the period following the surgery," says Dr. Neme-Mercante.

Complications can include irregular heart rhythms, oxygen deficiency, high blood pressure, diabetes, stroke, heart attack and even death.

It's apparently not unsafe DURING surgery, rather AFTER surgery, and now that I understand, I'm OK with it! Thanks all!

Deanna798
on 4/14/16 1:23 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

Also, my surgeon sent me home with an incentive spirometer a week before my surgery and told me to use it daily in preparation for having the surgery.  Blood clots and pneumonia are a very serious complication.  The only fatalities that my surgeon has ever had for WLS were because of blood clots.  That's why they also push you very hard to get up and walk as much as possible.  They are like slave drivers at the hospital where I had my surgery. 

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Kathyjs
on 4/15/16 12:43 pm

Promoting our sleep center :-) Mine was required by my surgeon at the Mayo Clinic... Glad you found your answer . 

dangeloc
on 4/19/16 12:36 pm

Had my first visit today with the weight loss center. Why a sleep study? The definitive answer! LOL

Because if you have sleep apnea and stop breathing AND are taking pain meds AND are at home and not in the hospital on a pulse oximeter and with medical staff around- you could stay asleep and never wake up- which makes good sense.